AX50 2.4Ghz Channel Problems with iPhones and iPads

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-07 21:02:20
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Latest

Hi there-

Have had the AX50 on my network for a week now. I have it connected to my Arris Cable Modem in Bridged Mode. When I first got it, it wouldn't see the modem until I upgraded the firmware. I also had to upgrade several PCs in the house since they all had on board Intel Wifi, which also was not compatible out of the box.

Then, we noticed that our legacy iPhones and iPads (not 11's with AX Wifi,those scream!), while they found the 2.4ghz network and connected, the peformance is terrible with stops, stutters, delays, and disconnects. This has nothing to do with how close they are to the router. When these devices were on my old Archer C9 they functioned just fine.

Overall it seems the 2.4ghz network doesn't perform well, even with non- i devices, so almost everything in my home is on the 5Ghz, which stinks and defeats the purpose of this router altogether. I'm starting to think it's going to take multple firmware revs until this router is more reliable. It also seems like it gets clogged with all the traffic a lot more often than any other router I've owned and gets super HOT!

Just wanted to see if anyone else is having similar issues and if anyone found any workarounds yet. Thinking about returning it. We have a 1 GB connection and I think this early rev of this router isn't letting us take full advantage of it. 

Options
1 Reply
Re:AX50 2.4Ghz Channel Problems with iPhones and iPads
2019-12-09 19:32:14

@GuyCai 

Apple devices generally speaking for 2.4 GHz have always worked better on the higher channels.  Apple even has a help article that describes the best settings for Apple devices on 2.4GHz.  Trying this may improve service.  We have also noticed some older legacy devices have network card that simply do not preform well with AX on the 2.4GHz enabled.  This would be due to the software and in some cases the hard of the device's adapter and we would not be able to resolve taht other than setting the band to N only or at least removing AX.  If that is the case contacting that devices manufacture to see if an update can be applied to make the device more compatible with AX may be possible. 

2.4GHz channel width

Channel width controls how large of a "pipe" 'is available to transfer data. However, larger channels are more subject to interference and more likely to interfere with other devices. A 40MHz channel is sometimes called a wide channel, and a 20MHz channel is a narrow channel.

Set to: 20MHz

Use 20MHz channels in the 2.4GHz band. Using 40MHz channels in the 2.4GHz band can cause performance and reliability issues with your network, especially in the presence of other Wi-Fi networks and other 2.4GHz devices. A 40MHz channel might also cause interference and issues with other devices that use this band, such as Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, and neighboring Wi-Fi networks. Routers that don't support 40MHz channels in the 2.4GHz band do support 20MHz channels.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1110

Replies: 1