Roku / YouTube TV Buffering A LOT

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-07 23:01:55 - last edited 2019-12-08 00:27:56
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest available

First time poster so am hoping I can get some help.

i have an Archer A9, connected directly to an AT&T modem that is getting 900mbps+ on a speed test from the fiber to the modem.

I have teo Roku Premiere 4K that are connecting to my A9. These two only connect to 2.4 GHz. 

The Rokus are struggling baaaad with buffering and the picture getting pixelated.

I went into the settings of my A9 to set the channel manually but that's not an option if I have Smart Connection option enabled, it won't let me set that. 

1. It will only do that, if I disable the Smart Connection. Is that correct?

2. In that case, I'll need to have two different Network names correct? Or can I disable Smart Connection and still have the same network name? I like that because all my devices are currently linked to the same network and passwords are all set. 
3. assuming I can choose a channel one way or the other, what's the best channel?

oh yeah, the same thing happens to the Roku upstairs and to the one sitting literally right next to my router. 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Roku / YouTube TV Buffering A LOT
2019-12-09 19:40:00

@LH865 

The issue is going to be that the Roku's are connected to the 2.4GHz band.  At best the 2.4GHz will achieve 150Mbps transmit rates, but that is in ideal circumstances.  In most cases you are looking at best rates between 80 Mbps and 100 Mbps.  With 4K streaming coming in at 4.3 to 7 GB per hour per device you can see how that could be significantly hampered by on the 2.4GHz  network.   Even though say Netflix's minumum recommendation for 4K is 25Mbps for just a single device, you also have to consider that that is in an indeal circumstance with no other devices drawing network resources or any interference from other 2.4GHz networks.   2.4GHz specturm is very congested, espically if you live in a large city or in a apartment complex.  

Ideally espically with 2 4K devices your best bet is putting them on the 5GHz band that is designed for higher data usage and has much less interference.  The downside is the Range is not as good.  But as long as the signal is there this is your best option without additional hardware. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1093

Replies: 1