DoS protection shuts off internet if watching YouTube

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-11 16:01:53
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

If I try to watch a YouTube video on any computer, I lose internet.  The IP address for the computer I am using gets blocked under "Blocked DoS Host List".  It happens on both Win 7 Pro computers and my Win 8.1 laptop.  Both my Android phone and tablet work fine.  I have had the router since November.  These are the original settings.  This started about a month or so ago.

Also, about 3 months ago, I can't touch the router.  I mean that in the literal sense.  I can't physically touch the router.  If I do, it shuts off or I lose internet all together (the internet light changes from green to orange).  It can take many off-on cycles for it to work.  It either turns itself off after it goes through the boot up cycle or the internet light is orange if it fully starts up.

Any ideas mainly on the YouTube issue?  The second issue is also a real annoyance, so I try my best to just stay away from the router.

Archer A9 AC1900 router

SPI Firewall - On

DoS Protection - On

ICMP, UDP, and TCP-SYN settings all set to "High"

Ignore ping packet from WAN port - not checked

Forbid ping packet from LAN port - checked

Options
2 Reply
Re:DoS protection shuts off internet if watching YouTube
2020-08-12 18:20:51

@Ryan77 

Probably because you have the DoS protection settings too high, set them to middle and test. If it still happens set the TCP to lower.

Options
Re:DoS protection shuts off internet if watching YouTube
2020-08-12 19:03:20

@Tony 

I am sure reducing the settings would work, but I feel that's a bandade, not a fix.  I shut it off and it works fine.  The main issue is that the settings have always been set to "high" and YouTube has always worked.  Why did it just stop working all of the sudden?  That is normally an indication that something changed.  It could be YouTube has become more intrusive and the router sees that as dangerous.

I would like to know if anyone has similar issues.  Can someone set their settings to high and see if it shuts your internet off, also?  If so, that would reinforce the idea that YouTube changed how it works.  If it doesn't shut down, then there is something wrong with the router, like a software/firmware issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 421

Replies: 2

Related Articles