Mesh network best for streaming content

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-09 15:48:20

I am looking for a mesh router recommendation. I have a single story house about 4-5k square feet of property. In the home it is about 15k square feet but i would like to get reliable wifi in the back yard. I have looked over the deco units 100 times over and just can't decide on which is best. We pay for 400mbps suddenlink internet. We are currently using a 7-8 year old router which slows down the more device we use at one time. Speed tests are laughable at this point. I have a brand new modem cable of 1 gig speeds. We are definitely on a budget and every dollar counts. We basically do streaming and have at one time maybe 6-8 devices going at one time. We have 2 smartphones 3 fire tv devices( which at the most would 2 going at one time), tablet, amazon echo and maybe running a computer for mostly web browsing. Streaming content is the most data intensive thing we do all day. I know wifi 6 is coming out but i would rather wait on that until the technology is perfected and more price friendly. 

Thanks for the help

Options
2 Reply
Re:Mesh network best for streaming content
2019-12-09 22:16:03

@applefancb 

The main concern should be from the ports on the router.  You defianlty want one with Gigabit, so stay away from a Deco like the W2400.  The Deco M9 2-pack can cover up to a 4500 sq ft and 5500 Sq Ft for the V2 of the Deco M5 3-pack.  You can add up to 10 total Deco units into a single network so coverage in general terms should not be a problem.  the issue comes from getting a reliable signal outside.  There are many factors that can affect the service and range,  In doors you have to deal with Appliances, walls and other obstructions.  Congestions the ammount of devices connected etc.  When adding outside you have additional issues to deal with,  Enviromental and atomsphereic issues, distance from the closest Deco, just to name a few.  

As the Deco is desinged for indoor use we cannot really say how effective the signal outoddrs is.  

Options
Re:Mesh network best for streaming content
2019-12-09 22:53:34 - last edited 2019-12-09 22:54:04

@Carl thank you for the info. The way my home is setup, the deco nodes for hallway and kitchen (which is where my back door is) would be in line of sight for the main deco unit. This would help with getting some backyard signal. I guess one of big things would be making sure the deco m5 or m9 being able to handle the speeds for streaming content. Thanks for your help. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 647

Replies: 2