TP-Link UB400 doesn't let me connect xbox controller.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-12 22:43:31

I have a tp-link UB400 nano USB adapter that I am trying to use to pair an xbox one controller to my PC using Windows 10.
The adapter is working (I have the Bluetooth icon in my notification area, which I have it turned on and set to discoverable, when I go to add a device via it, my controller shows up in the discoverable devices, but when I go to pair it, it sits there until it times out and says that the connection failed.... and if I try to add a Bluetooth device through Windows it says that there is nothing there to connect.

I have gone through this guide from Microsoft yes my controller matches the bottom picture (X is surrounded by plastic separate from the shoulder buttons. When I push the button on top for it to enter into pairing mode ( the X flashes) " If I click the Bluetooth icon in my notification area and try and add a device there, it detects the Xbox controller, but when I go to pair, it says it's pairing for about a minute then ends up showing me  https://ibb.co/CbXJhHk and if I go under the Windows Bluetooth options it does not give me an "On/Off" slider underneath, and it shows me this https://ibb.co/ZY4d3PM whenever I click "Add Bluetooth Device"
It says that for Windows 8/8.1/10 its plug and play which had the above results, so I installed the driver manually from the website to the same results.

So what step did I miss?
Thank you.

Options
10 Reply
Re:TP-Link UB400 doesn't let me connect xbox controller.
2019-12-13 20:47:53

@Spock96 

Unplug the adapter and insert it into another USB slot, if that does not work, disable/enable the device in the device manager and try to pair it again. If the OS is Win 10 you do not need the driver.

Options
2020-04-23 12:10:04
I'm in the same situation and i think i've tried it all. Did you find a solution?
Options
2020-04-23 12:17:04

@Tony Thoose are the 3 steps of pairing

Options
2020-04-23 14:03:12
I've found the solution: Dont download tp link drivers, just plug the dongle and pair from windows control panel
Options
2020-08-08 20:08:24

@pawx 

Work for me, I´ve uninstall the Driver program and chage the USB port and works. DO NOT INSTALL THE DRIVERS. Only plug and Play.

Options
2021-06-06 05:53:52

@pawx my controller cannot be detected tried changing usb ports nothing happened

Options
2022-01-13 23:51:15

@Spock96 hey bro, I ran into the same problem and couldn't find the solution anywhere but figured it out and it should 100% work for you 

you have to go into device manger, click on Bluetooth, right click "generic Bluetooth radio", then click update driver, then "Browse my computer for drivers", then click "let me pick from the list", and update it to "generic Bluetooth adapter". :) 

this means instead of it being an audio adapter, it will now be a generic Bluetooth adapter for things like controllers. 

hope this helped! :) 

Options
2022-05-02 02:28:13

@Jonathanhigham You da man, that worked. Also, don't click on 'Everything Else', which actually lists Xbox controllers. Click 'Bluetooth' which lists 'Mice, keyboards, pens and other bluetooth devices'.

Options
2022-06-29 00:47:55

@Jonathanhigham YOU ARE THE MAN!!! this did it for me after hours or research on how to fix. THANK YOU!!! 

Options
2022-08-25 22:20:50

@konger Thank you!, this was exactly what I needed to do with the UB500 adapter. All tutorials tell you to click on "Everything else" and that's plain wrong. When I clicked on "Bluetooth" like you said my XBox controller appeared instantly.

I'm using TP-Link's driver, no need to use a generic driver. My Device Manager looks like this:

bff799cc59484764b766aa905d8f9feb

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 27284

Replies: 10