Which version of Firmware supports non-wireless Printers on AC1900 (Archer A9 V6)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Which version of Firmware supports non-wireless Printers on AC1900 (Archer A9 V6)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-16 17:09:07 - last edited 2019-12-22 16:05:45
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.0.4

From what I am reading, it appears that the newer TP-LINK firmware no longer supports non-wireless printer connections.  Is there a version of firmware for the AC1900 (Archer A9 V6) that will support a printer that uses only an ethernet connection?  The printer utility does not recognize my printer with the current firmware.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Which version of Firmware supports non-wireless Printers on AC1900 (Archer A9 V6)-Solution
2019-12-18 20:05:34 - last edited 2019-12-22 16:05:45

@Steelart99 

We have removed the print server feature from our USB settings but a network printer regardless if its ethernet or wireless should still function.  There are no setting for us to view though.  All of the that would be from the printer it self.  You would want to check to see if your printer is getting an IP address.  If its a 192.169.x.x it means there is either a communication issue or a conflict with in the network.  If that is the case run a diagnostic from the printer (if possible),  change the ethernet cable and if that doesn't work assign a DHCP reserved IP address for the printer top remove a possible IP conflict.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Which version of Firmware supports non-wireless Printers on AC1900 (Archer A9 V6)
2019-12-17 01:52:15

@Steelart99 

If your printer has an ethernet connection then the utlitiy would not be needed.  That is only for turning a non-network USB printer into a network printer. For an Ethernet printer just like a wireless printer once it is connected it will have an Ip address and be a fully fledged network printer.  All you need to do is search for a network printer to find it and add it to your PC.

Options
Re:Which version of Firmware supports non-wireless Printers on AC1900 (Archer A9 V6)
2019-12-17 02:45:35

@Carl 

That's just it, I have the printer wired directly to an Ethernet port on the AC1900 router and it will not show up as a network printer (Windows Networks) .  I had a previous TP-Link router, hooked up the same way and the printer worked fine. 

I saw some comments within the TP-Link community that TP-Link had stopped supporting non-wireless printers. The only thought was to downgrade the firmware to a version that would support a printer. 

In fact, the http://tplinkwifi.net/webpages/index.html router interface for this particular router does not show anything that indicates that there is a printer installed.

So ... where do I go from here?  Do you have a set of steps within the web-based interface to help me ID a printer or figure out ?

Options
Re:Which version of Firmware supports non-wireless Printers on AC1900 (Archer A9 V6)-Solution
2019-12-18 20:05:34 - last edited 2019-12-22 16:05:45

@Steelart99 

We have removed the print server feature from our USB settings but a network printer regardless if its ethernet or wireless should still function.  There are no setting for us to view though.  All of the that would be from the printer it self.  You would want to check to see if your printer is getting an IP address.  If its a 192.169.x.x it means there is either a communication issue or a conflict with in the network.  If that is the case run a diagnostic from the printer (if possible),  change the ethernet cable and if that doesn't work assign a DHCP reserved IP address for the printer top remove a possible IP conflict.

Recommended Solution
Options
2019-12-19 01:02:44

@Carl Thanks.  I'll give those options a try and report back

Options
2019-12-22 16:07:08

@Steelart99 So setting the IP address on the printer worked to establish a connection with our network computers.  My issue had nothing to do with the router.

Thanks for the guidance!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1675

Replies: 5

Related Articles