TP Router will not recognize new TP switches (Archer 9v5 router to unmanaged SG105 switches)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP Router will not recognize new TP switches (Archer 9v5 router to unmanaged SG105 switches)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-20 17:50:59 - last edited 2019-12-22 19:06:49
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.2.4 Build 20190403 rel.63869

I have a TP Link router, Archer C9 v5, and I added two new switches to my network, TP Link SG105.  They are 5 port unmanaged switches, so I expected them to be plug and play.  Sadly the router is not recognizing either swtich on my network.

Here is what I have done:

1)  I power cycled both the router and the switches.

2)  I updated the firmware on my router.

3)  I checked both switches, and they have green lights to both the WAN ports, but none of the ethernet cables attached to the switches.

4)  I checked both switches, and when set up indpendent of my network, they can both ping between two comps set up independently, bascially I know they switches actually work. 

Here is what I know:

I know the LAN ports on my router work, since my main office comp is hard wired to it.  I know my wireless works on my router, because I have a dozen devices that work with my router.  I know both of my switches work when they are tested indepenently, but not when connected to my network.

Why can't my router recognize them and start giving MAC addresses to all of the things plugged into my switches?  I assume it's a settings issue with my router somehow.  Any ideas are appreciated.  I am not great with router and networking settings, so you might have to coach me through a few things on my router panel interface.

Thank you!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TP Router will not recognize new TP switches (Archer 9v5 router to unmanaged SG105 switches)-Solution
2019-12-20 18:22:21 - last edited 2019-12-22 19:06:49

@WoolyGuy 

Are you using MAC filtering or Access Control?  Unmanaged switches should be plug and play.  I know you stated the LAN on your C9 works but what about the ethernet cable?  if you disconnect any LAN device temporarily and connect both ends of the ethernet cable to 2 of the LAN ports on the router the LAN light should light up.  If not either one or both of those ports are bad or the cable.  You can then futher test by hooking this cable up to a known working device such as you office computer.  If it work then you know that one of the ports is bad.  If not then its the cable.  While its unlikely to be the cable since i assume you are using two different cables for the two different switches its still good to completely rule out as cables are a very common item to go bad. 

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:TP Router will not recognize new TP switches (Archer 9v5 router to unmanaged SG105 switches)-Solution
2019-12-20 18:22:21 - last edited 2019-12-22 19:06:49

@WoolyGuy 

Are you using MAC filtering or Access Control?  Unmanaged switches should be plug and play.  I know you stated the LAN on your C9 works but what about the ethernet cable?  if you disconnect any LAN device temporarily and connect both ends of the ethernet cable to 2 of the LAN ports on the router the LAN light should light up.  If not either one or both of those ports are bad or the cable.  You can then futher test by hooking this cable up to a known working device such as you office computer.  If it work then you know that one of the ports is bad.  If not then its the cable.  While its unlikely to be the cable since i assume you are using two different cables for the two different switches its still good to completely rule out as cables are a very common item to go bad. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:TP Router will not recognize new TP switches (Archer 9v5 router to unmanaged SG105 switches)
2019-12-20 19:33:36
Thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure I am using MAC filtering, but I am not sure because I don't fully understand what Access Control means. I did test all the cables and ports. All the cables involved, and all the ports on my router are working.
Options
Re:TP Router will not recognize new TP switches (Archer 9v5 router to unmanaged SG105 switches)
2019-12-21 01:49:29

In case it helps, my set up is a router in my office, which is hardwired to three things:

1) Another router downstairs, set up as an access point with the traditional 4 LAN ports (this AP has both wired and wireless connections).  This router is working, as I can see the MAC address to the comp downstairs hardlined to that AP router.  This AP is connected by a 50 ft cat 6 cable.

2)  A new switch in my office for other periperals like a TV, a PS3, and a server in the works.

3)  Another new switch in my wife's office connected to her comp.  This switch is connected by a 50ft cat 6 cable.

It's the two new swtiches that are not being recognized by my router.

Thanks.

Options
2019-12-21 03:18:53
OK, I checked this and I have Access Control turned off. I am definitely using MAC filtering. Should I try Access Control instead of MAC filtering?
Options
2019-12-21 22:46:24
I am an idiot. I am not using MAC filtering, because I never set it up. I didn't understand what that meant when you asked earlier, I thought that meant how the router uses MAC addresses by default. So, no, I am not using MAC filtering or Access Control.
Options
2019-12-22 19:06:35

Somehow I was able to get it to work.  I am not sure exactly how, but something about the order of how I connected some cables and not others seems to have mattered, and I started only one switch at a time when I rebooted my router.  I did those things before and it didn't matter, but somehow it did this time.

Options
2019-12-23 04:59:42

After buying a TP-Link router, I was trying to install it. I connect the router to my windows 10 pc to configure the router settings. But unfortunately, it is showing an error 0x80248007. It may be a windows issue, otherwise something wrong in the router.

Options
2019-12-31 00:05:10

@WoolyGuy 

Sorry for the confusion MAC address flitering is a by proudct of Access Control they are one and the same.  I'm glad its working now.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1243

Replies: 8