How do I turn off Qos on new AX50?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How do I turn off Qos on new AX50?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
30 Reply
Re:How do I turn off Qos on new AX50?
2020-01-05 19:48:43

@Carl Hi Carl, I had similar issues with my new Archer A20. Would really appreciate a way to turn the QoS feature off, as we have Gigabit fiber to the house and I dont want or need the QoS feature. Turns out its actually slowing some connections down...

Options
2020-01-14 22:20:26

@JRice 

The answer would be to place QOS in standard mode.  With it in standard mode the router is not preforming any QOS function.  

Options
2020-04-07 02:47:08

@Matts175 

Did you ever run those speed tests?  I have the same router and also have gigabit internet to the house now, but can't seem to get more than 100 to 200 Mbps to a connected device.  While I realize true performance won't be at a gig, this seems a lot lower than I would expect.  I'm trying to figure out if the problem is with my ISP or something with my setup... curious about your speed test results.

Options
2020-04-07 14:19:04

@HankRearden I was told setting them all to the top, or all to "Standard" effectively disables QoS. I did that, and manually set my Total Bandwidth to a high number (1200, 1200). Seems to work well now.

Options
2020-07-17 03:54:39

@Carl I can confirm that Standard QOS, IS NOT the same as QOS being off. I have tested the connection directly from my modem and I get on avg. 450 Mbps, however once connected to the router the speed has not gone past 200 Mbps. How would this be explained if QOS was off? 

I want an option to completely disable QOS, otherwise I'll need to find a router that doesn't bottleneck you... and the fact that QOS can only be controlled through the app is absurd. 

Options
2020-07-17 03:57:25 - last edited 2020-07-17 03:59:08

@HankRearden Same for me. Setting QOS to standard and limits to 1000 for both upload and download results in 200 Mbps, where as I get over 400 coming out of the Modem. QOS is most certainly still doing something in standard mode. It’s very frustrating.

Options
2020-07-17 04:03:26

@Fjames003 

What did you set your Total Bandwidth setting to? I found I couldn't let this be auto-detected. I set mine to 20% higher than my maximum link speed, so 1200 Mbps up and down. I set QoS to Standard. I now see same bandwidth over Ethernet through my fiber modem, and the router.

Also, what kind of Ethernet cables are you using (CAT 5e, 6, 7)?

Fjames003 wrote

@HankRearden Same for me. Setting QOS to standard and limits to 1000 for both upload and download results in 200 Mbps, where as I get over 400 coming out of the Modem. QOS is most certainly still doing something in standard mode. It’s very frustrating.

Options
2020-07-17 04:04:40
Also, do you have anything set as priority or not priority in the Device Priority section? I agree with you, I want a QoS off option. I’d trust it better. Other than *this* specific feature/snafu, the router has been rock solid.
Options
2020-07-17 16:06:04

@JRice I set the total bandwidth to 1000 Mbps, as I am only getting 400 Mbps download from my ISP and 20 Mbps upload. I am using brand new Cat 7 cables. I do have certain devices set as "High Priority", so maybe that's bypassing Standard mode which is supposed to be the equivalent of Off. I can try eliminating all priorities and see if that helps. It's worth noting the device I was speed testing with was marked as high priority, so you would think if the router allowed any device to hit max bandwidth, it'd be a high priority one, but it was capped almost exactly at 200 Mbps (which is almost certainly being bottlenecked by router), both over Ethernet and over 5 GHz WiFi. 

Options
2020-07-17 16:09:36

@JRice I agree, the router is a solid router except for this one issue. It just happens to be a rather significant issue for me as it's halving my speeds. It's also just very frustrating that this is a software implementation. Give me control! Don't assume you can regulate the router for me. I want complete control (as most other routers provide), not some limited App. That's a nice feature for people that have no idea what they are doing. For people that do know, it's just a big PITA. 

Options
Related Articles