Multi-Access Point System

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-12 16:18:21

Hello!

I'm looking for advice on the best multi access point in home wifi hardware / network.

Background: I have a 7,000 sq. ft. home current covered with Google Wifi (4 devices). Coverage is slow and my wifi enabled Sonos speakers routinely lose connection. There are also numerous dead spots. Internet is through spectrum and at 1G speed. Home has Cat5e cable run throughout and back to a panel in the basement. Usage is typical for a home with 6 people.

Need: Modem and access point recommendation. Need to make sure multiple access points have same wifi network and devices easily transfer between them.

Thoghts: I am thinking TC-7620 Modem with three AX6000 (One in router mode, two in Access Point Mode).

Please help! Thank you in advance!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Multi-Access Point System
2020-01-13 13:32:33
Consider a mesh system such as the Deco or extenders such as the RE650 which allows Access mode which allows the extender to be connected via Ethernet cable since your home is already wired.
Options
Re:Multi-Access Point System
2020-01-14 21:45:57

@ScottDonahue 

I was thinking mesh like @ArcherC8.

When you add the need to have all networks the same and seemless roaming between the units is what a mesh network will provide.

I prefer the M9 with the dedicated wireless backhaul (5GHz), similar to being wired, but with a wirless band not accessible with wirless devices. With two nodes you can get about 4500 sq ft coverage, and can have up to 10 nodes. Drawback to having Decos is there are only two Ethernet ports on each node so you will need a switch if one of the satallite units needs to wire more then two devices. 

In any case you can go with the three AX6000 if that's your plan. You can make all the networks the same, but depending on what node the wirelss device connects to will be dependent on the device itselt or what threshold it has when deciding to connect to another network. Easiest way to manage all of them would be to use the Tether app.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 510

Replies: 2