I bought a new gigabit modem and now my bandwidth is spotty

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-16 17:13:19
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

When I first installed the m9+ I was getting anywhere between 130 mb/sec in the same room as the modem and 100 mb/sec on the furthest away node. I was using the Motorola SB6121 modem. However since my ISp is giving me 400MB/sec, I decided to upgrade to the Motarola MB7621 modem. 

Now I am getting around 450 mb/sec in the room as the with the modem in it, around 200 mb/sec with the node the next furthest away, and then around 30 mb/sec at the 3rd m9 node (furthest away). And not only that, when I go on the  https://www.speedtest.net/ on my phone it seems to be changing the "servers" as I move around the house even though I have Spectrum cable internet. The coverage seems spotty as in one area I will be getting 200mb and then I take 3 steps away and it drops down to 30 again.

Why would a modem change all of a sudden drop out the coverage of my mesh m9 mesh network? Are there any settings I can change? I'm on the latest firmware. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:I bought a new gigabit modem and now my bandwidth is spotty
2020-01-16 19:01:05

@wet_beef 

A few things to check.  1st log into your modem usually 192.168.100.1 and look at the logs.  Make sure you are not getting any T3 or T4 timeouts.  If you are the issue is with the service and you will likely need a plant or maintenance dispatch to resolve.   2nd try running the speedtest from a PC.  Most phones are a 1x1 product so speedtest can be deceptive on a phone, espically at greater distances.  The changing of servers doesn't have anything to do with the Deco and usually is just randomly chosen when logging into the app.  Lastly try moving the remote units around a bit to see if the signal can be improved.  Some speed related issues are signal related.

Options
Re:I bought a new gigabit modem and now my bandwidth is spotty
2020-01-17 16:46:45
No timeouts. And the positioning isn't the issue as when I had my old modem it was consistent 100 mbps all around the house. I didn't move the nodes at all, just changed the modem. And also when I speed test using the 3rd party website it slowly builds up speed as opposed to it being almost immediately up to top speed.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 644

Replies: 2