My public IP displayed in WAN settins is different from the IP in google.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-17 17:53:40
Model: TL-WR841N  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Is it normal? And can it be the reason why I cannot forward ports? 

Options
12 Reply
Re:My public IP displayed in WAN settins is different from the IP in google.
2020-01-17 19:57:42
Use whatismyip.com to see your public IP. If you use a VPN the IP will be different and may change. Most use a DDNS service when port forwarding.
Options
2020-01-17 20:32:09

@ArcherC8, thank you for the reply! I already know my public IP, but when I go into Network/WAN Settings, IP displayed there is different from the IP I get using whatismyip.com. 

Options
2020-01-17 21:13:02
What type of IP are you using? I use dynamic ip. My IP is the same unless I am using my VPN. Can you get to your port forward device with either of the IP addresses?
Options
2020-01-17 21:28:43

@ArcherC8 Dinamic, but I have switched to static for a few hours, because that is what one site recomented to do. Then, when I couldn't reach the server I switched back to the dinamic IP, but the port still does not work.

Options
2020-01-17 21:48:37
Be sure your firmware is up tp date.
Options
2020-01-17 22:04:05
Can you do the address reservation to assign your MAC to an internal IP and assign the internal IP to a port? Can you get to the device via the internal IP and port (192.168.0.xxx:port)? Can you get to it via the WAN IP and port (xx.xx.xxx.xxx:port). Then when you set up the DDNS via that name and port number (DDNS-name:port)?
Options
2020-01-17 22:23:39

@ArcherC8 Thank you for your advice, but I will try probably try it tomorrow. It is already quite late in my timezone, and I don't know half of these terms :)

Options
2020-01-18 07:38:37

@ArcherC8 I couldn't do an address reservation, beacause my MAC address is apparently invalid. I managed to get to the device via the internal IP, but neither the external IP, nor DDNS work. 

Options
2020-01-18 14:04:42
MAC address should be printed on the device or seen in the ‘about’ of the device. When entering the MAC try different separator characters such as space or : or - or . or , or period. Even if you did not get the address reservation, if you know the internal ip you can still set up the internal ip to the port. Just it may change when the router is rebooted. Try both IP addresses.
Options
2020-01-18 14:27:40
More questions. Is your modem a gateway (modem and router combo)? Do you have a phone system or other device between the modem and router?
Options