Packet loss on PS4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Packet loss on PS4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Packet loss on PS4
Packet loss on PS4
2020-01-18 02:17:29
Model: AD7200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.1 Build 20170103 rel.71053

I have a 400Mbps down connection. I've purposley capped my PC to only use 300Mbps so other devices can get 100Mbps to use. The problem, I am having is that when downloading on my PC at this max speed of 300Mbps, and playing PS4, I will still see the packet loss icon appear. Even though it still has 100Mb download to use, this should not be happening.

My only thought is possibly the router is receiving "too many" connections from my PC at once, and is getting clogged up somehow. Or some kind of protection is kicking in.

Either way, I'm trying to get it so I don't receive this packet loss on my PS4, when downloading on my PC.

Is anybody aware of a setting I can change to possibly resolve this?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Packet loss on PS4
2020-01-18 02:42:16
Just wondering, is it the actual PS4 or a game like battlefield 1 or 5? I don't have a tp link router yet. I have a mediumish computer and used to play BF1 and want to get back into BF5, but I get those icons for "no good reason" I just blamed the game code or the server. QOS may cause issues, maybe try it without? As I'm reading other posts.
Options
2020-01-18 03:17:36 - last edited 2020-01-18 03:20:34

QOS is off at the moment. I use Netlimiter on my PC to cap its usage. It's Overwatch I noticed as that's what I mostly play.

Options
2020-01-20 19:07:14

@bobsa 

Netlimiter is a software-base traffic shapping program.  However this does not change how the router handled incomming and outgoing traffic. What is likely issue is resource usage.  If you are using 75% of your bandwidth for downloading that will in all likelyhood cause network perfomance issues for other devices while the download is in place,  regardless of how much bandwidth you have left for other devices.  If you are going to use such a program i would suggest setting the speed limit to 200 Mbps or half of your network speeds.  Remember in most cases ISP speeds are "Up to"  and most only gaurantee 80% of your package rate.  

Options
2020-01-20 21:33:42

@Carl I've since used QOS instead and given my PS4 %60 traffic priority and temporarily disabled netlimiter. Yet, I still experience the lag in game when downloading on the PC. So maybe it is the download using up all the hardware power, even though it is not using all the traffic. I thought this device was quite powerful when I bought it, but maybe not to today's standards.

Are you aware of anything uneeded I can turn off to try to free up router resources? Or a way to monitor which device is using up resources?

Options
2020-01-20 21:55:17

@bobsa 

Under system tools there is a traffic statisitics setting you could enable and monitor it could tell you by IP address where the network resources are being used the most.  Also under the USB settings there is an Offline Dowload feature that can store downloads and install them at a later time.  Thus allowing you to pull downloads and less used times.  You can look at the User guide for more on this feature. 

https://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/AD7200(US)_V1_UG.pdf

Those items is where i would start though.

Options
2020-01-22 06:49:42
I believe I may have found the issue. On advanced I found the memory and cpu load section. My CPU load randomly spikes up high. When downloading it can reach 70% plus usage and I've seen it spike higher then that randomly when dling now. No idea why this would happen.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1014

Replies: 6

Related Articles