Slow network performance on AX50/AX3000

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Slow network performance on AX50/AX3000

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
204 Reply
Re:Slow network performance on AX50/AX3000
2021-08-23 17:19:29

@JimAllyn 

That is not what the thread started as.  It stated with poor LAN performance.  

"Hello, I just purchased a AX50/AX3000 router and am having a terrible time gettingt the LAN speeds to be good. My other router was a Netgear and I was able to confirm that my WAN/Internet speeds are 500/250 from my ISP. I am getting close to that on wireless when I am right near the router. However, with the AX50 I am only getting 60mbps down and 40mbps up. I've tried everything including mimicking my settings from the Netgear router. Could this be an issue with my devices (iPhone and Macbook Pro) not supporting AX?"

Also we have found from some users that not the App but the HomeCare feature, specifically QOS, is what is causing the concern.  What they reported is that if you delete app and reboot the router that preformance does improve.  Our R&D team has futher stated that in connections above 300 Mbps QOS is not beneficial.  We have also had reports that are still be tested that putting the router on a cooling plate or on a stand that angles the router and allows better airflow can improve perfomance.  We know this router's particular chip does run warm but it should not affect the perfomance.  If we get more on this we will let our users know. 

Options
2021-08-24 18:01:21

@Carl 

It´s quite clear that the trigger for traffic choke with this router are:

• Using QoS (easily reproducible scenario)
  • Using Device Priority easily (reproducible scenario)
  • Using the App it may trigger some strange behavior as well.
  • Also important, the traffic monitor doesn´t work without QoS or Device Priority (reproducible scenario)

So we have 4 clear point of action for your Product Line and R&D. Frankly I think there is not going to be an upgrade to the firmware of this router to fix any of the problem ... that intel chipset may be the guilty of that. 

Options
2021-09-12 16:41:43

@Sevi I've spent so much time on the phone with TP link diagnosing this router, and the slow speeds always seem to return.  No wonder this AX3000 router is cheap to purchase.  Not worth the time spent on it, and having to smell the electronic fumes it puts out as it runs so hot.

Options
2021-09-18 00:47:20

@Elee 

This solved the inconsistent download speed issue:

"go to Advanced->System tools->System parameters to modify the negotiation speed from "Auto" to the "1000 Mbps full"? The negotiation rate drops from 1000Mbps to 100Mbps, usually because of physical hardware negotiation problems, according to our experience, many users can solve this problem after replacing the ethernet cable".

Also, I disabled smart connect option.  Good luck.

Options
2021-09-28 22:14:57 - last edited 2021-09-28 22:17:57

@J_M_B Tha

J_M_B wrote

Hello Everybody

The bug is about priority settings

Disable all "High Priority" choice on any device & reboot (you can do it with Tether app, see Client Tab)

This doubles the speed on all interfaces (WAN & LAN)

Best Regards

Thank you! That instantly fixed my problem. [Edit: I am using the Tether app for configuration]

That is a stupid way to do high priority. 

Options
2021-10-01 08:26:25

Frustrating that this is still going on unfixed by TPLink.  Can you please recall the router if you can't fix via firmware?

Having it randomly lose speed via any of the issues above and needing to reset to factory to get back to full speed (along with not touching QOS and manually setting negotiated speed in advanced settings) is pretty crazy.

For those that have used other TP-Link gear, is it all like this?  Seems alot of consumer grade network gear is struggling these days with everything they're trying to pack into the code.

Options
2021-10-31 02:15:28 - last edited 2021-10-31 02:27:29

New firmware for AX50! 

1.0.11 Build 20210730 rel.54485
Didn´t fix any of the problem (QoS tested, THP went from 1.1Gbps to 250Mbps). The only think that the new firmware solved was the wrong loading of the webpage where it was on plain text (for me at least, 100% of the time) and I needed to reload the page. 

Options
2021-11-08 12:56:38

Hi guys,

firmware version: 1.0.11 Build 20210730 rel.54485(4555)

hardware version: Archer AX50 v1.0

I tried everything you described, removed teether app, factory reset, and still not able to get full speed. How can I disable QoS please? Because even after factory reset I have preselected "standard" mode. Thank you.

Options
2021-11-10 12:03:47

I just wanted to share my experience here after a long way of trying to resolve this problem with my AX50.

• I removed the mobile app from my phone.
  • I had QoS disabled/enabled.
  • I never had any prioritized device.
  • I tried changing the settings from Auto to 1000mbps as recommended a few times here.
  • I made sure the channels I am using are clear of interferences.
  • I reset and rebooted the device a thousand times trying to config things differently.
  • I bought 2 fans to put under the router to cool it down since it gets super hot because IDK, maybe this was the problem all along.
  • I checked for connectivity problems with the ISP on the phone, I was asked to use the s****y router they supply instead of the ax50, and guess what? No problems with their "terrible" hardware.
  • Made sure to have the most recent update on all my devices (routers and machines/MacBooks/tv/streamer/Plex media server).
    Note: they had only one firmware update for a year. meaning this was a problem during all this time and when the update has released this September 2021 - it wasn't resolved.

The internet is slow and "freezes" without getting disconnected. Speed test websites do not recognize the failures sometimes (they just kinda stay in a buffering state), but pinging 8.8.8.8 in the terminal shows packet loss every few (1-4) minutes although being right next to the router with 5g wifi connection, making it unbearable to use a browser or maintain a zoom meeting for work. Both my Samsung tv and Xiaomi streamer experience slow streaming with Netflix/Plex built-in apps. Again, with or without QoS enabled/disabled. With or without IPTV settings - guessing this is happening due to the packet loss.

I own the router for less than a year. I contacted TP-Link customer support via email. In the beginning, they just gave me the common troubleshoot service after explaining several times that I tried all they suggested, I showed them ALL the posts I could find in the forum regarding this issue. I was assigned to someone more technical which suggested I send them back my router and asked for the receipt. I bought my router from eBay and it seems like I have no service from them and they cannot handle my device. I asked (nicely) again - to find a better solution and take responsibility for the product they sell - they just stopped responding.

This isn't happening only to me.

It's even worse to buy a product where you know that it should have an app or QoS functionality/feature (which in my case was a factor in buying it), and find out these features do not work and are recommended to be turned off (yet still not working properly for some users like myself).
I'm a student and I'm tired of wasting A LOT OF time trying to find a solution for it or trying to reconfigure it differently a thousand times instead of studying.
On the upcoming Monday 16.11.2021, I should start my new study-career remote job and I'm going to return my old Netgear router - and basically stuck with a useless black box with leds & antennas with a TP-Link logo on it.
From a conscience perspective - I cannot and will never sell this device to anyone (unlike TP-Link corporate) knowing it's not functioning well.

They market the product everywhere as if it's the best router for home use (go on and prove me wrong - almost any review you'll find on a google or youtube search result) but in reality - it's the worst, which makes this super suspicious in a way. Yet, they refuse to take any responsibility for it.
I swear in my most precious, I'm going to post this in every AX50 review possible as a comment, contact any tech magazine to get this out, and never buy a TP-Link device ever again. Tp-Link was always my favorite (I own 2 wifi sticks, a usb hub, wifi mesh extender, 5 wifi bulbs, and an old (only. 2.4g) router I always liked to use with a long name which I do not remember) but since the "new age" of WiFi, smard devices: TP-Link are seriously slacking in product manufacturing and service. And now ell corrupt devices.

I wanted to thank all the users for trying to share solutions and help others, and hope you do as me and stop supporting TP-Link.

Options
2021-11-24 17:33:51

Ugh, another user finds this thread because of poor throughput.

Thanks everyone for the great tips and insights into the problem. Funny that I found this problem only when I increased my internet service speed from 200Mbps to 800Mbps. I had unwittingly enabled QoS many months ago and set the bandwidth limts to my 200Mbps plan. It seems that the router software has a bug whereby an internal parameter does not get updated when a user selects new bandwidth limits. Apparently this is why the factory reset is needed.

I too found that disabling the QoS fixed my poor throughput to my ethernet-wired desktop immediately. However, my wireless Samsung S10+ was still being throttled to the old 200Mbps limits, despite the router speed test showing 800+Mbps and removing the Tether app. I'm about to try the factory reset.

@Carl, is TP-Link going to fix this bug?

Options
Related Articles