No Advanced menu/can't use Access Control on Archer A6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-27 02:14:31
Model: Archer A10  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.5 Build 20191112 rel.36515(5553)

I'm using my new Archer A6 in Access Point mode. Why would I not be able to use Access Control for MAC filtering purposes? My 5 year-old TP-Link WAP allowed me to do this before that device died and I purchased the Archer A6 device.

FYI, I can't actually select Archer A6 from the Model drop-down menu.

Options
8 Reply
Re:No Advanced menu/can't use Access Control on Archer A6
2020-01-27 19:49:00

@SmeeAgain 

When using a router as an WAP some features will be unavialble.  Because access control is tied to the routing functions this is not a feature available when in AP mode.  All routing is done by the Host router.  There may be actual WAPs that have this feature but that is because they were designed to be WAPs and this feature is part of their design set.  Since the A6 is designed to be a router, that has WAP mode its not part of the feautres in WAP.

Options
2020-01-28 01:08:44

@Carl 

Carl wrote

@SmeeAgain 

When using a router as an WAP some features will be unavialble.  Because access control is tied to the routing functions this is not a feature available when in AP mode.  All routing is done by the Host router.  There may be actual WAPs that have this feature but that is because they were designed to be WAPs and this feature is part of their design set.  Since the A6 is designed to be a router, that has WAP mode its not part of the feautres in WAP.

Thank you for your reply.

Based on the specs for the Archer A6 (Supported wifi types, speeds, coverage, etc.) which TP-Link WAP would you recommend as an alternative to the A6? MAC Filtering security is a must-have feature for any device I want to use as a WAP.

Thanks for your time.

Options
2020-01-28 01:44:35

@SmeeAgain 

Does your main router not have MAC filtering? If so that could save you from having to do returns or spend more money.  As the routing is ulitmatley handled by the main router that is the optimal location for MAC filtering.  One other last place to check on the A6 in AP mode check Security and then Access Control, this is where MAC filtering is in routing mode.  If it is not greyed out then you should be able to use it.  While I believe this feature like in many of our routers will not be active i do not have one on hand to test so I can't be 100% sure, but likely my pervious statement will remain true.  If so and your router does not have this feature one of our AP degistnated devices like the AP300 will out MAC filtering under the wireless settings. 

Options
2020-01-28 04:59:34

@Carl 

I have a standard-issue Comcast cable modem, which is pretty featureless, thus why I want MAC filtering for WiFi on whatever WAP I use.

In AP mode the Security --> Access Control menu is not available, it's not even present when in AP mode.

I was looking at the TL-WA901ND. Other than the lack of Gigabit Ethernet it looks like it has all the other features I want: https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa901nd/#overview

Options
2020-01-28 17:23:21

@SmeeAgain 

If the Comcast device is just a modem then what is being used as your router?  If you are using the A6 as a router then the MAC filtering feature is under Access Control? If the Comcast modem is a gateway then that is your router as well and the feature should be there as it is a pretty basic routing feature.  Just would hate to see you spend more money if you have devices that will work. 

Another option that may be open to you if your modem is a gateway is to have comcast swap it out for a basic Docsis modem and use the Archer A6 in router mode then as i stated above use the Access Control option to filter access by MAC.

If that isn't an option yes the TL-WA901ND would work as well.  I recommended the AP300 because it was the closest to the feature in wireless speed and ports to the Archer A6, but the 901ND would work just network speeds will be limited to 100 Mbps

Options
2020-01-28 18:31:45 - last edited 2020-01-28 19:01:44

@Carl 

The Comcast device is a gateway and I can control access in the gateway's settings.

On the Comcast gateway there, apparently, isn't a way to set the LAN Allow default to Allow All and control WiFi access via MAC filtering separately. For most people I imagine this isn't an issue but I do IT work from home and I do a lot of device imaging for deployment to clients and users. Having to add a device's MAC address to the Comcast gateway's access control settings 3 or 4 times a day isn't an efficient way to go about allowing access to my LAN or the Internet for updates, etc. Being able to control access to WiFi connected devices separately from LAN connected devices works much better for my situation.

I'm having a hard time finding the AP300 for sale at a reasonable price. I can't find it on Amazon (unless my searches are incorrect) and Newegg has it for $165.00 which seems excessive. For substantially less than $165.00 I'd purchase an Omada AC1750 (Eap245) and get everything, and a lot more, I think I want/need.

Options
2020-01-28 21:55:46

@SmeeAgain 

The Omada EAP245 will defiantly work for you.  It is a business class AP so its feature set is geared towards buisness needs and as such more robust.  That will work for sure.  We typcially don't recommend buisness products for SoHo customers but based on your description you probably would be beter off with the EAP. 

Options
2020-01-29 00:56:41

@Carl 

Thanks for all your help Carl. Much appreciated.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2710

Replies: 8