MR600 how to phone via the internal sim card (wifi using phone ?)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-01 16:06:38
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Just bought this then realised it does not have an RJ11 phone socket like some others do.  I want to be able to phone out to a landline from the router via the internal sim card.

My card allows a set amount of data, unlimited calls to mobiles and landlines (I am in France) but all I can access is the text option or data transfer, so calls are lost.

Is there and adapter I can buy, or a phone app that will allow me to use a wired standard phone with this ?

I have a Nokia windows smartphone, old but working fine, which now has no sim card in it.  I can connect via wifi to the router but there it all ends.

Tedious having the card there and not being able to use it, I am sure there is a way.

Please bear in mind I have no idea on the techincal side of networks etc, just a basic answer would be great.

I have searched for voip and apps etc but amongst the hundreds I found they all are always for how to get voip on such as viber.  It would be great if someone phoning the sim in the router would transfer to the mobile and vice versa.  I know the Huawei ones do this but they are less configurable.  I am hoping for some sort of adapter for the RJ45 port to connect a phone if I can't route it to the mobile.

Any help appreciated.

Options
8 Reply
Re:MR600 how to phone via the internal sim card (wifi using phone ?)
2020-02-03 12:03:46

@charentejohn So nobody knows then ?   Does anybody know how I can contact tp-link themselves as there seems to be only the forums but these are not always populated by people who know the products well, more questioners than answerers ? :)

Options
2020-02-03 12:46:33
I am just a user who tries to help others located in the US. My VOIP is via a unit (Omma) that plugs into one of the Ethernet ports of my router. With Omma you can use one of their handsets or use a phone or cordless phone system that plugs into the RJ11 in the Omma umit. I have used Magicjack in the past which was okay. I assume there may be products like that in France. Some set these up in the US and then travel with them.
Options
2020-02-03 14:01:37 - last edited 2020-02-03 14:12:57

@ArcherC8 Thanks for replying.  That looks like the sort of thing I need.

Google Voice is one solution but that means trusting google will always support it, Shame TP-Link didn't add an RJ11 port like the Huawei box.

All I can think is that the other one has a small circuit inside that converts analogue to digital.

I am now looking at getting to the card via my mobile phone (different network) using wifi.   Still unsure how that would work as regards dialling a landline at the other end. 

So I phone with my mobile but tell it to use wifi not cellular mast.  So it then goes through the router and, here is the tricky bit, dials the number using the router sim not the phone one.  Logically it should be the router sim that makes the call, then again how do they call me back.  By dialling the router sim number ?

You can see why I am still trying to figure this out.

Editd to add that I am mainly asking as neighbours want to do this but need something simple, so just plugging in a phone is best for them.  So Huawei would suit them I think.  Form me I will persevere with the mobile to router option to get access to the sim in the TP-link, still strange they did not allow for this option as (unless a card is data only, never seen one) then the unlimited calls that accompany some sim cards here are wasted.

Options
2020-02-03 15:50:06
In the US, TP Link has routers that do have VoIP such as Archer VR900v. Not sue if it is available in France. See https://www.tp-link.com/ae/support/faq/2020/. Omma also connects with Cell phones. https://support.ooma.com/home/compatibility-with-other-devices/. You may have something like it in France. Hope you get it worked out.
Options
2020-02-03 17:16:57

@charentejohn 

Here is a link to our TP-Link France Suppot Team: https://www.tp-link.com/fr/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support

I would definatley recommend contacting them as we do not have a product here in the states or sell one on our official US site for what you are looking for.

Options
2020-02-03 22:36:50

@Tony Thanks for the link I will get in touch with them. 

I don't know if TP-Link have a product that allows a phone to be plugged into it, if they don't it is a bit of an oversight.  Pretty much any 4G router will be using a phone type sim card and the inability to plug in a standard RJ11 phone is not good.

Again as it basically locks the sim card away inside the router shutting it away from it's function as a mobile phone card.  It has a mobile number assocaited with it but it can never be used to phone anyone.  Interestingly it can be used for texts, so why not calls ?

I will look into putting my mobile on the network in some way ?  Perhaps then I can dial via the sim card.

I have a Nokia windows phone that can (so it says) connnect via wifi so I assume it will allow calls out using the router sim card's package, so any charges (or not) will go through that.   No idea on calling back though, somebody at TP-Link should have thought about this though ?

In the meantime I will recommend my neighbours buy a Huawei 525 box as they need to have a simple system to use the internal card and this has that.   

Options
2020-02-04 09:09:08

@charentejohn Here is irony for you https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tplink.tpphone

This says it is (despite poor reviews) a means of phoning via wifi and is an app from TP-Link.  I am still trying to download it (some links on the site broken) but it only seems to work for ADSL routers and not the MR600... why ?   This still means my sim card is in a block of cement inside the MR600 and inaccessible.  

Oh well I shall persevere, in the end I can always buy a Huawei 525 and use the MR600 as just an expensive router.

Options
2020-07-25 16:19:15

@charentejohn I am from India and also wanted to buy this product as it has cat6 technology support with 4g+ ,but i also want the voice call facility . Unfortunately it doesn't provide .And i am fortunate enough i got this message from you. Can you suggest me a good router having these facilities like 4g +,cat6,Voice facility. THANK YOU.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 5534

Replies: 8