traffic monitoring

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

traffic monitoring

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
traffic monitoring
traffic monitoring
2020-02-02 12:47:10 - last edited 2020-02-02 12:59:44
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 latest build

I am trying to get a handle on some data hogs on my network and the Traffic Monitoring feature is pretty good.  BUT it seems to reset the counter for some ip addresses all by itself so that I lose the totals.  Why does that happen and is there a workaround to get a persistent running total unitl I decide to reset the counter??

BTW, this is my first TP-Link router after using the "Big 2" for many years.  I am really enjoying the speed, stability, and the interface.  Plenty to like here for sure.

Options
5 Reply
Re:traffic monitoring
2020-02-03 15:58:32
Not sure why it would be resetting. When looking for data hogs, cloud services are one of the biggest ones especially if you are doing backups or photo storage. Also watch those voice activated devices and remote monitored cameras.
Options
2020-02-03 16:17:36 - last edited 2020-02-03 16:18:41

@ArcherC8 

Oh, I know what the data hogs are.  Worst offender is by far a Chromecast stick streamng HD video.  I just want to be able to kep an accurate running total per device until I reset them.  This one had 75Gb on it a couple days ago, then yesterday when I loggeg in it had obviously been reset and was just registering a few hundred Mb. I am the only router admin so no one else is messing with it.  Also, for a wish list item it would also be nice if the FW kept a running sum total.  Another wish item would be for the router to send SMS alert when a device joins the net. Seems that should be simple enough to implement in the FW.

Options
2020-02-03 16:24:22
Those would be nice. I would like for it to ask permission before allowing a new MAC address to connect to the WIFI.
Options
2020-02-03 19:54:26

@Raylo 

Odd how the totals are resetting,

Are the devices changing IP addresses or have you configured address reservation for them so they never change?

Options
2020-02-03 21:12:03

@Tony 

They always have the same ip address although I've not reserved any.  I might try that but not sure it will make any difference.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1568

Replies: 5

Related Articles