TP Link Wr841N Router does not allow Open Wifi Use Acceptance Page

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-14 02:21:12
Model: TL-WR841N  
Hardware Version: V14
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 4.16 v0348.0 Build 191119 Rel.54857n(RC)

We use the TP Link WR841N router in WISP mode.

When we connect to a secured password protected Wifi source in WISP mode, it grabs the input internet source and creates our own private network.  Works very well.

At other locations we have to use a public library open (no password) Wifi.

I tried scanning for networks, selected the public library open wifi, connected, and saved.

But when out Chromebooks connect to our private network, no one can get an internet connection.  Normally, when I use my own PC directly to the open Wifi I get an Internet Use Agreement page where I have to accept it to continue.  However, when we connect our Chromebooks to the Router we never get to see the Acceptance Page.  I think this is the problem.

I tried going to neverssl.com which from what I read, because it's not SSL, it helps establish a connection between the router and the internet and that triggers the webpage with the USer Acceptance.  Didn't work.

Anyone else use an Open Wifi in WISP mode with this router and have issues getting and approving the user agreement splash page?

Thanks.  Getting desperate.

Taxman

Options
4 Reply
Re:TP Link Wr841N Router does not allow Open Wifi Use Acceptance Page
2020-02-14 17:58:44

@taxman 

This sounds very similar to issues seen when connecting to a Hotel Wifi.  What is likely happening is that the Open Public Libaray network has a splash page and you are not getting directed.  So although you are linked to the AP you are not getting access until you go to the splash page and authenitcate.  

Normally you would use a laptop connect to the source and agree to the terms and conditions on the splash page.  Then once online connect the router in WISP mode and Clone the laptop's MAC address so the service thinks your router is the computer. 

Options
2020-02-14 18:06:06

Carl wrote

@taxman 

This sounds very similar to issues seen when connecting to a Hotel Wifi.  What is likely happening is that the Open Public Libaray network has a splash page and you are not getting directed.  So although you are linked to the AP you are not getting access until you go to the splash page and authenitcate.  

Normally you would use a laptop connect to the source and agree to the terms and conditions on the splash page.  Then once online connect the router in WISP mode and Clone the laptop's MAC address so the service thinks your router is the computer. 

Ok. So how do I force the splash page to appear?  It appears in the beginning of the day but when we get disconnected we can't get back in cause no acceptance page appears. 

Options
2020-02-14 18:18:25

@taxman 

You can't force it to appear, and based on what you stated its likely it has timed out after a certain amount of usage.  Typically public sources do this to discourage the misuse of their network.  All you can really do is follow the process over.  Connect your laptop to the network accept the terms and conditions and then reconnect to your router.  

Options
2020-02-14 18:44:48

I did try a few times. Powered down router and Chromeboook.  Restarted.  No good. I almost wanted to try a router reset. Is there something the open wifi or router retains that prevents re-acceptance? Does the wifi remember my router via MAC address?  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 950

Replies: 4