Make EAP 225 not stand alone

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-16 18:12:35

Hello all...

I have been trying to set up a simple home wireless network.

I have a cable modem box from the phone company. I then go into my TP Link AX3000 Archer AX50 Router. I have plugged into that a TP Link 8 port Gigibit network switch.

I have all the heavey users, the TV'S, on direct eithernet cables to the switch. 

The house is a one level 4200 square foot home. 

I have placed two EAP 225 on the home ceiing. One in the middle and another at the far end of the home. 

I am using the wireless from the router for the close end of the home coverage where it sits. 

When I activate the two EAP 225 access points I can see them but I can not figure out how to set them not to be stand alone. When I access my wireless connections of my tablet  to see the home network I also see the EAP 225 SSID's. I would like to see only one home network. I would actually like to see the 2.4 and 5g of the home network so I can choose which to hook to with certain devices.

I want to walk from one end of the home to the other without having to stop and find/reconnect to one of the EAP 225's.

Can someone please tell me how to configure the two EAP 225's so they are not stand alone....and I can simply auto switch to them when thier signal is the better of my connection options where I happen to be standing?

thank you!!!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Make EAP 225 not stand alone
2020-02-20 18:12:48

@HotShot 

If you want the EAP225s to operate as a mesh network you will need to download the controller software, enable the mesh feature, and adopt the AP units.

Here is a link that shows the steps needed on page 39 of the user guide: https://static.tp-link.com/2018/201809/20180907/1910012447_Omada%20Controller%20Software%203.0.2_UG.pdf

The controller software is a program that needs to remain on so when installed on a computer that needs to remain on. An alternative to that is to use the OC200 which is the controller and placed on your network.

One thing to keep in mind the EAP will not work in conjunction with the router's Wi-Fi with respect to mesh. So when you leave the EAP and connect to the router there will be a drop in connection as if you are connecting to a new network.

One final note is that the EAP will need to be running the latest firmware in order to have the mesh capability.

Options
2020-03-07 17:12:48

Thank you Tony!!

I will order up that controller and see how it goes...

Thak you for your help!!!!!!

Options
2020-03-09 17:57:31

@HotShot 

You are welcome.

If you end up needing help, get a hold of our business support here: 

Live Chat: link (select SMB up top)
Phone: link (SMB)
E-mail: link

Options

Information