Loosing Connectivity randomly. Speed Test restores it

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-17 17:50:33
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 Build 20190822 rel.26396(5553)

I have had this happening for about a month or more.  Seems to come and go.  I did a factory reset a while about 2 weeks back and it seems to go away for a while.   I see either a lost is throughput or complete connection loss.  I do a speedtest from the router and the speed is restored.   I am also seeing some random slowdown and when I do a speed test I get the speed back.    AT this point I am having trouble pin pointing the issue but pretty confident it is between the WAN connection on the routher and my service provider.    THe problem shows up both wired and on wifi.   

Any thoughts to further trouble shoot the issue. 

Options
10 Reply
Re:Loosing Connectivity randomly. Speed Test restores it
2020-02-17 18:14:32
Since you are not sure what is at fault, connect a PC direct to the modem with a good Ethernet cable bypassing the router. Test for period of time to see if it fails. If it does fail, try a different cable.
Options
2020-02-17 19:12:52

@ArcherC8 Thanks for the tip.   I have swapped cables out already and the problem still is there.  I did a bit of googling and it appears my cable modem is not set for 200 mbs which my provider recently bump me to so.  I have order a new cable modem and will see if that improves my reliability.   I will also try the direct connection to cable this weekend to see if the problem persists.   Ether way I will report back experiences. 

Options
2020-02-21 15:45:07

@RonL 

One other thing to look out for are the system logs of the modem, see if there are any critical 3 or critical 4 errors. That eludes to the internet signal not being good so it will cause slowdowns or random internet drops.

If the first rep says you have internet, ask for a higher level tech, sometimse ISPs just see if you have internet rather then looking at the quality of the connection.

Options
2020-03-01 23:17:00

@Tony Thanks. 

I am still having the issue.  Tech was out with meter.   checked the signal and replaced the connectors.  There was some water in the.    We did not have an issue for 2 days and then it popped back up last night.  I checked the modem and there are 2 critical and 2 errors.  I will post them tonight.  not as many errors as outages.  

Here are the strange things. 

1)  We definitely have cases were the speed just drops to very low ( around 1Mb) doing speed test through google and other speed test sites.  

2)  I run the speed test on the tplink and bingo it works.  

3)  Also when we have a slowdown our outage my son says rebooting the router fixes it better than the modem...  (Find this one very odd)  

next time we have an outage I am going to try and swap cables and see if my mac  will pick up.  I really can't run hours just connected to one pc.

They are coming out again on Tuesday.  Might swap out the outside box.   I am sure they will double check the line again. 

Something odd.   With #3 starting to wonder if it is the router that is the issue thought I had the same issue with a older router I swapped out.  At this point I am leaving nothing out. 

Options
2020-03-02 16:15:42

CHecked the cable modem (Netgear cm600) and these are the two errors I see, but those were on yesterday around 2pm.  Had the issue happen twice last night with no errors on the modem. 

Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

I have checked the router logs and don't see anything 

Strange thing,  when I look at the logs on my router I see some from Saturday and some from August which is very odd and makes me wonder if something is rong with my AX6000.   But other than that I don't see any onther issues in the logs.  

The thing that I find strange and makes me wonder if it is the AX6000 is the fact that running a speed test clears up the issue or rebooting it.    I will try the cable swap at the next convienent opportunity.  

How often are there updates to the firmware?   have not received once since I got it before the holidays.

Options
2020-03-02 18:29:59

@RonL 

If the ISP is going to check the wiring then that should rule that out.

Log into the TP-Link router and go to Advanced > QoS > Application Priority, edit the speed on top and set it to Manual, put some amount like 1000 Mbps up and down.

There has not been a new firmware release since August of last year.

Options
2020-03-03 15:40:44

@Tony I changed the QOS to Manual and put in 1000.  Wondering why you might think that this would help the AX6000 from loosing connectivity on its end of that is happening.  Given I keep thinking back that this was happening with a different modem and router it still feels like a infrastructure issue, but maybe that was a different issue.  Also find it very strange that it took two days to pop back up.

Options
2020-03-04 21:27:59

@RonL 

A user had a Deco where the speed was throttled, turned out to be the QoS was set low, I figured that may be happening here.

Options
2020-03-05 16:29:16
Pattrick Your issue appears to be different. You should start a new post. Give us additional info such as router model and more info on the issue such as it it slow only on WIFI and what you have done to try and correct.
Options
2020-04-25 17:51:56

@RonL Sorry for the delay in feedback and appreciate everyones ideas.    Turns out I had a poor connection right under my desk.  First tech did not find it.  Second one day.  Definitely created strange behavior.  Now my connectivity is much more reliable.   Turned out it mine was an external issue.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1263

Replies: 10

Related Articles