Failed to Obain IP Address As Network Extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-20 02:40:06
Model: TL-WR841N  
Hardware Version: V9
Firmware Version:

I have had my TP-Link 841N set up as a wireless network extender at work so I get wireless singal in my room.  When I set it up originally had no issues what so ever.  Then about 3-4 months ago randomly I get failed to obtain IP address. It had been working fine previously. So I reset the router to factory defaults and reset it up. All was well and it was back up and running.  Then it happened a few days ago, and I reset it again and I got it back up and working. Now I keep getting the same failed to obtain IP address and even resetting it is not working. All the settings are the same, and no settings have been changed to the router it's being connected to.

FIrmware is up todate. Is there something else I am missing? Or is something failing inside the router?

Thanks!
Mel

Options
3 Reply
Re:Failed to Obain IP Address As Network Extender
2020-02-20 12:56:02
Do not discount that the cause may be the router you are connecting to. Also try moving your router/extender to a different location.
Options
2020-02-20 13:06:30

I have moved it a little to see if it was a signal issue. At work I'm in the lower level with cement walls. I also only have two places for outlets so I'm limited to where I can move it to. My next thought was to reset the modem it's connecting to. But then that involves calling the people who manage the network. My boss will want to call to make sure it will not mess anything up by restarting it.

I did notice in settings that DHCP was not diabled after I reset it. I believe it was before. When I disable it then I can't connect to the network at all. It acts like it's trying to connect and stops. 

Mel

Options
2020-02-21 21:32:34

@MizmelzyWI 

If you can take the router home to test, that might be best to avoid interrupting the work environment.

What you mentioned about DHCP, yes that would need to be disabled, but that would be the last thing to turn off. 

When I configure WDS bridging, I usually do this:

1. Configure the Wi-Fi settings on the extender (router)

2. Change the LAN IP address so it is on the same subnet as the network the router will be extendering.

3. Enable WDS, and connect to the network wanted.

4. Disable the DHCP server, save and then reboot the router.

When the router comes back on it should now be connected to the network and good to go. 

Setting up the 841 on another router would help to see if it actually is something on the office router blocking it or if the problem is inside the 841.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 878

Replies: 3