Multi-SSID on AX Routers??

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-23 08:23:37

Do any of the wifi 6 routers (802.11ax) support multi-ssid??    I would really like to get a wifi 6 router, but I need vlan support for the separate iot ssid I have for devices in my house.

--

John Cavanaugh

Options
7 Reply
Re:Multi-SSID on AX Routers??
2020-02-26 15:52:39

@cavanaug 

No there is not.

You can possibly look at our business class AP units (https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/ceiling-mount-access-point/) which have multi SSID where you can configure a VLAN ID for each network.

Here is our SMB forum if you would like visit for any info or questions: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business

Options
2020-02-26 21:29:34

@Tony  Unfortunately none of the business class APs support 802.11ax.   So Im still sort of stuck.    I guess I wait for OpenWRT support on the AX routers...   :-(

--

John C

Options
2020-12-11 23:17:26

@Tony can this be requested in one of the next firmware updates? My 7 year old apple router that had no real features could at least segment guest network access to another subnet. With everyone working from home, learning from home, etc., it would be nice to be able to segment traffic off. 

Options
2020-12-12 01:20:38
Would a tri-band router work?
Options
2020-12-14 23:41:15

@panoptic 

I believe the user's original question was for multi SSID that can attach a VLAN to each SSID which router does have a guest network ability to separate the main network from the guest network, but not attach VLANs to each SSID which our business class devices can do.

Options
2021-01-02 01:48:50 - last edited 2021-01-02 01:49:38

@cavanaug I have an AX6000 unit and it does not support multi-ssid. Though, it does have an option to enable Guest Network. Since all my IoT devices are on 2.4GHz, I opened a Guest Network only for these IoT devices. Here is my setting: it does allow Alexa to command other bulbs and does claim to "disable" access to my local network.

I have limited network knowledge and this Guest Network setting seems to isolate all these 2.4GHz IoT devices away from the local network.

Options
2021-01-25 11:33:47

@Tony guest network doesn't matter. It isn't a true separation even if the "don't allow devices to talk to each other" option is on. Since all of our homes are now our offices as well it would be nice to separate work traffic from Personal traffic. Any one with a little penetration testing knowledge can get around that if they really want to. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 7565

Replies: 7

Related Articles