AX6000 2.4GHz/Smart Connect Issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AX6000 2.4GHz/Smart Connect Issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
18 Reply
Re:AX6000 2.4GHz/Smart Connect Issues
2020-06-21 21:29:04

I'm having a similar issue. My 2.4 GHz keeps dropping. If I go into the router and advanced the mode is greyed out and cannot be changed to show anything until you reboot. The 5ghz works just fine no issues. I reboot the router and everything works fine for awhile then I loose wireless on 2.4 ghz again. Same thing each time. Everything looks fine except the mode the router is using is not displaying anything and is greyed out. Reboot and it's back and all good. I tried switching modes downand it didn't resolve the issue. 

I have the latest firmware at this time and I'm still seeing the issue crop up.

Looking for any idea's or suggestions here.

Options
2020-06-22 02:25:17

@Nnamrakk 

Your issue is slightly different than mine, my 2.4 would just cut in and out.  But my router (AC4000) was different than cheemcheems, so they told me the firmware patch wouldn't work.  They ended up replacing mine (service is terrible btw - took two weeks from start to finish, I had to pay $15, and replacement is refurbished).  Ive run it just over 24 hours now, so far no problems...  Sorry my story isn't more helpful.

Options
2020-06-25 14:28:26

@Nnamrakk 

Hi, I was wondering if you have any updates?

I have some updates on my story.  The replacement router's 2.4GHz band died Monday morning (recall I installed it Sat, so 1.5 days later).  I removed some newer suspicious devices (smart bulbs) I had installed within the last month, and rebooted, and it started working again, for about two days.  It died again last night (Wednesday), and a reboot did not help (though I have not yet factory reset, which I also did not have to do Monday).

I currently speculate that this is a firmware problem leading to some incompatibility between the router and perhaps an old chipset in one of my devices (though they are generally mainstream manufacturers, and for the previous 1.7 years worked flawlessly with no other new brand installations).  Some combination of smart connect, airtime fairness, for all i know could even be their software around beamforming, seems to be getting tripped up and bogging down the system every couple of days.

It's just total speculation, but I feel @cheemcheem 's experience seems to give good evidence.  After all, they solved his problem in the firmware, but perhaps they haven't had the time to fix it for slightly older models yet.

Options
2020-06-25 15:48:43

@dreamdreamfruit 

I'm still getting issues with wireless going in and out. No real progress as I havn't really had time to look into it more, just keep rebooting the router.

I do believe it's just a firmware thing and how the technology is working. I have so many devices attached I couldn't determine if it's something with and older chipset. I just know before the last 2 firmware updates it seemed to be fine. I'm thinking of back dataing my firmware until they release another version. I just want to capture some logs before I do that to see what is going on and send it to them to get more data on their plates to figure out what might be happening.

Options
2020-08-07 22:56:37

it was enough to consult the manual

cheemcheem wrote

Hello, I've been having some issues with this router in the past couple of weeks.

Just some background: I have some 2.4GHz-only devices and some 5GHz compatible devices on my network.

Initially when I set it up a couple of months ago, I chose to disable Smart Connect mode as my 5GHz devices were being pushed on to the slower 2.4GHz network quite frequenty.

This is a noticeable issue for me as I have gigabit internet speeds and the 2.4GHz network tops out at a fraction of the potential speeds I can get.

This set up was working just fine for me until a couple of weeks ago, when I reset the router (and subsequently set my settings up the way they were before). Ever since this reset, the 2.4GHz network has not been detectable or connectable by my other devices, despite the router saying it is on. Occasionally the 2.4GHz network will come on and quickly dissapear. The 5GHz network remained unaffected.

Because of this recent issue, I decided to turn on Smart Connect again to see if I could get the 2.4GHz network up again, and it worked! However my 5GHz devices still keep getting pushed to the 2.4GHz network!

So I have two questions, how can I fix the 2.4GHz issue? And if that can't be fixed, how can I fix my Smart Connect issue?

Thank you for any help you may have!

https://www.tp-link.com/pl/support/faq/2595/

Options
2020-09-03 16:00:10 - last edited 2020-09-03 16:00:55

@cheemcheem 

I purchased one of TPLink's AX50 routers from Best buy in May. Last month I switched on the Smart Connect feature.

Apparently it completely wiped out my 5 Mhz channel, SSID name, Password and any access.

Does anyone know why Smart Connect is not compatable with a dual band router?

Options
2020-09-03 16:33:19

@gridflash smart connect kinda bonds the SSID. The router will choose which band to connect to. 

So your device will see only one SSID but both bands are being broadcast.

Options
2020-09-03 16:56:16
Combing the channels with 1 SSID is a useful feature. What I need to know beforehand is that it will wipe out all the passwords on my 5Mhz channel.
Options
Related Articles