Archer A5 question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer A5 question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Archer A5 question
Archer A5 question
2020-02-26 20:04:06
Model: Archer A5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello! Requesting your help.

Had severe internet speed drop, spoke with my providers tech support - they said that the cable might damaged - their own diagnostics software detected that I'm running on 4/8 wires. Requested tech support assistant to come and fix it. The technician did not see a fault in the cable itself, he changed the ethernet plug, ran a diagnostic and detected that i have a short in my router. The problem is that I am not familiar with this technology, no idea what this means, but I include a pic of what the technician showed me.

The first pic - is what the technician explained as the "short in the router system" (the Pair 1 & Pair 4 short)

The technician showed me, that he has no problems with speed, as directly from the internet cable he had ±650Mbps, as I only have 94Mbps. 

Could you please explain it to me like I'm 5 y.o? Is the router faulty? I bought it 3 months ago, the warranty the seller gave me was 2 months. Or maybe it's fixable? 

Forgive my English, I'm not a native speaker. If you have any questions, I would be happy to tell you more.

Thank you!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer A5 question
2020-02-26 22:20:00 - last edited 2020-03-02 16:44:17

@gonzo19k 

I am not sure about the "short" I would think the router would not even turn on or drop internet altogether.

The Archer A5 has Ethernet ports that are not capable of going beyond 100 Mbps. That is why you see speeds of 94 Mbps.

If the tech was reaching speeds of 650 Mbps, then you need a router that has gigabit ports or in the specifications of the router it will say 10/100/1000 Mbps.

Options
2020-02-27 18:17:15
Thank you! You have a solid point. That makes a lot of sense, thank you again, I did not know that. Will keep this in mind when looking for another unit. Follow up question - on the same specifications page you were looking at - if you scroll a bit lower, it says "Wireless->Signal rate-> 2.4GHz:Up to 300Mbps". If the signal coming into the blue port is ±650Mbps - then why is it not transmitting at it's maximum speed? Using the Ookla speedtest on my phone, while connected to A5 WiFi, it shows 80Mbps. I agree, that it's "up to 300Mbps", but still feel let down. Is this configurable?
Options
2020-03-02 16:46:23

@gonzo19k 

That is a very common assumption that when seeing the wireless transfer speeds they assume that equals internet speeds. So when you are looking at routers look at the Ethernet port speeds or you will have the bottleneck you have with the A5.

The speeds you are seeing for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz are internal wireless transfer speeds so they do not include using the WAN port. Only locally on the LAN communicating with each other.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1392

Replies: 3

Related Articles