how to connect without modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-29 02:03:50
Model: TL-WR841N  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I need help! I have this new router and need to connect to my pc but I dont have a modem.. my internet is coming thru my wall via ethernet jack, (like the old phone jacks)

So I just have the cable and the router isnt recognizing it... Any help PLEASE!? smileythx!

Options
4 Reply
Re:how to connect without modem
2020-02-29 11:39:15
Can you connect to the internet if you connect the PC direct to the Ethernet jack? That is the first test. If so than connect the Ethernet cable to the router's port that is a different color )1 one color and the others a different color such as one blue and four orange). Connect the PC to one of the other Ethernet ports. Be sure to use good cables and you get a good connection. Note you may have a bad cable even if it is new. Follow the start up guide.
Options
2020-02-29 16:01:54

@WinkyDuhh 

What 'service' do you have from your ISP? Cable or (A)DSL?

What did you use or how were you connected before since this is a 'new roouter'? What was the old router make and model?

If this is a 'line' supplied via a landlord, and you do have it working when connected to a PC, there could be a router on the other end of the cable in the wall socket. Might need to put the router into AP mode to work?

A lot more info would help here.

Options
2020-02-29 19:52:12

@IrvSp I have fiber..  dhcp .. Im told from ISP.  Sorry Im not very tech savvy ;) 

my old router is also from tp-link but its been running for almost 10 yrs and I think its just tired lol.

at any rate, I think my ethernet cable is that old too and likely a big part of my issue

Options
2020-06-29 15:29:29

I am having the same problem. I have a AC1750 router. So far I can only use it for a wifi extender. Will I need two ethernet cables?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6115

Replies: 4

Related Articles