Archer A9 (US) firmware update question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-01 20:02:27
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20190403 rel. 63102

When I check for an online upgrade on the router administration page it returns "Your firmware is up to date.", yet when I check the TP-Link website firmware download page there is a more recent version available that states "Enhancements: Improved the performance and stability of the device." So now I'm confused because I'm wary of installing incompatible firmware. I have an Archer A9 (US) V6 router with firmware version 1.0.4 Build 20190403 rel. 63102 and the website's latest version is Build 20190515 rel. 7448 dated a month later than my current build. Should I perform a manual update?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer A9 (US) firmware update question
2020-03-01 20:44:33
If it was me, I would update the firmware especially if I was having any issues.
Options
2020-03-02 01:08:09

@ArcherC8 I'm not having any issues, just like to keep things up to date for security and performance.  With all the warnings that TP-Link gives on the download/update pages I'm wary of updating manually for fear of bricking the router.

Options
2020-03-02 13:01:50
I think the biggest issue to cause bricking is if you interrupt the process. Power being high on the list. Do it when you have lots of time, not rushed, and can do just that one task. Also best if the computer is connected via Ethernet cable vs WIFI. And of course follow the instructions as we tend to skim them thinking we know what to do next.
Options
2020-03-03 18:54:51

@broknsymetry 

Updates made on the website are typically uploaded before the update makes it to our update servers over the cloud.

If you are weary about something going wrong while manually updated the router it would be best to wait. 

Only if something was happening to the router where it was not functioning properly would a manual updated be needed in your case.

Options