New Archer C7 v5 - Guest WiFi cannot access router admin page

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-03 21:50:51
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20190726 rel.57101(5553)

New unit (hardware on this new/current C7 is now identical to the amazon A7 version).

Guest WiFi network is on, the following two access options are enabled:  allow access to local network, allow users to see each other ===> both boxes are ticked .    both band are configured this way.  

My problem is that the router admin console (or accessing via tether app) is not available when connected over the guest WiFi.  It works fine if on the main WiFi.   All other local / lan hosts (entire subnet wired and all wireless) can see each other when connected to guest WiFi.  

So it appears that TP-Link has decided that guest WiFi should never have access to the router admin page, even if it has access to the entire LAN.   This a very strange and unconventional departure from the nearly 100 tplink unit I’ve configured, as the only brand of routers I’ve sourced for over 11 years now.  So my questions are:

1- Can anyone confirm this bug, and if so is it actually intended behavior?

2- If it’s intended , is there a way to disable this “feature” , and is it newly implemented on new firmwares for older routers?

I use the ‘Guest’ network as simply a way to add an additional SSID / VAP. (since that’s what Guest network is ,at the software level).   I depend on identical treatment of ip traffic, and enabling  the two access options has always provided this for me.   The behavior I am seeing now is a bug, because the routers private ip address  is every bit a part of the LAN as every other host, and I’ve explicitly enabled full access to this.   

I’m mainly curious on how to go about fixing the bug, not working around.  I am not using device as a gateway so a workaround involving enabling remote admin and then accessing over WAN ip loopback is not useful.  

Many ny thanks for anyone’s thoughts!

Options
1 Reply
Re:New Archer C7 v5 - Guest WiFi cannot access router admin page
2020-03-04 14:44:19
I can see where the Guest network may be prevented from getting to the Admin page as that is what I would want it to do by default for security reasons. Just tried it on my Archer C8 and was unable to get to the Admin page using the guest network. It would be nice if it was an option.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 957

Replies: 1