TP-Link not honoring warranty

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-10 21:24:45
Model: Archer C5400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I purchased this router a little over a year ago from Amazon.  It was listed as sold by Universal Sales and Goods but the order was fulfilled and shipped by Amazon.According to Amazon, this means they are satisfying the terms of their Authorized Reseller agreement with TP-Link.  According to TP-Link, as I've just found out, the product being fulfilled and shipped by Amazon means nothing and they don't have to honor the warranty.

I spent several hours on the phone with TP-Link support troubleshooting the router because it quit sending any wireless signal.  You can plug directly into the router via ethernet and get a connection and the wireless SSID's are transmitted, but there's no connection provided by any of the SSID's.  This happend suddenly and all at once for all of the signals from the router.  The support tech determined the router needed replaced and is under the warranty period, but since the Amazon invoice showed it was sold by Universal Goods and Sales, they denied the claim.  I contacted Amazon who said since they fulfilled the order, the product should be covered since they are an Authorized Reseller, so I contacted TP-Link again and they said it doesn't matter, which means virtually all of the TP-Link products sold on Amazon that are advertised as having the manufacturers warranty don't.  The only reason I have every purchased the TP-Link networking products I've purchased is because of the "industry leading warranty". 

To top it off, a square trade extended warranty was offered for purchase with the product, which is void since there's no manufacturers warranty. I asked for the issue to be escalated but was told there's way to escalate the issue.  Amazon said TP-Link is in the wrong but all they can do is offer a partial refund and I need to work with Square Trade to get a refund on the extended warranty.  I originally came here to see if anyone else had this issue but after searching the forum, I see that TP-Link honoring their warranties is a major, repeat issue for many consumers.  I'm embarrassed to say that for the past year, I've been in charge of several home offices for the organization I work for and have been recommending the higher tier TP-Link wireless routers because they are cheaper than the Meraki's we use for our offices. Now, I have to cross my fingers and hope that they don't have issues within the next two years before they are replaced with Meraki's. I'm thoroughly disgusted with TP-Link because I always respected the organization since we've had minimal issues with their products for the past year that we've been using them and the products are easily configurable out of the box, with a intuitive management GUI's.  I see now I should've done better research before choosing them.

Options
3 Reply
Re:TP-Link not honoring warranty
2020-03-11 11:50:30
I have not had an issue with my TP Link router but have had issues with Amazon in the past with products that were counterfeit. I think the real issue is buying from Amazon and Universal Goods and Sales, not with TP Link. The router appears to be a so called 'grey' product.
Options
2020-03-11 15:04:45 - last edited 2020-03-11 15:07:01

The product is not a counterfeit. TP-Link verified the product serial number and date of manufacture.  I've found tons of posts, comments and accounts of TP-Link either denying warranty service or having people send in a product with an RMA and not getting another product in return. 

Options
2020-03-11 17:12:57 - last edited 2020-03-11 17:15:52

@SysAdmin21 

Fullfilled by amazon means you are still buying from a third party seller, it's just that Amazon took care of all the overhead for the seller. With the router originating from a unauthorized dealer (your seller seems to be gone from Amazon now) we do not know what could have been done to the router. 

For anyone looking to purchase a device I would recommend to make sure the seller and shipper says it is from Amazon:

You are not the first person to be met with this. I've talked to plenty who found themselves in the same position, but this simply is our policy.

So yes, we do honor our warranty, but if the device does not come from a legitimate source we're in a bind as far as what can be done. You can still continue to receive tech support for the device.

This may not be the answer you are looking for, but hopefully this can help others.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1487

Replies: 3