slow wifi speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

slow wifi speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
slow wifi speeds
slow wifi speeds
2020-03-10 22:46:44
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

Just installed the C4000 and my wifi speeds are half my wired connections.  I have 100meg fiber but only get about 40 to 45meq wifi.  Get twice that wired.  Any help appreciated.

Options
6 Reply
Re:slow wifi speeds
2020-03-11 11:39:42
It is normal for the WIFI speeds to be lower than the wired speeds. The drop off does sound a bit high. Several things come into play. The 2.4G will give you more distance and the 5G will give you more speed. Router placement is a factor as the WIFI signal is affected by objects and other radio waves. Turning the router and the antennas do make a difference as does height. You can try selecting specific channels and band widths to see if that helps as other devices use the same bands. Sometimes devices attached to the WIFI can suck up all the bandwidth such as backing up devices to the cloud. If your ISP supports IPv6 be sure it is working. https://test-ipv6.com/ Be sure your firmware is up to date.
Options
2020-03-11 14:27:39

@ArcherC8 

Router has latest firmware.  I am getting 100 meg upload over wifi, just not download.  I can stand next to the router and see little to no improvement.  Appears download is being throttled some way.  ISP is delivering 100meg.

Options
2020-03-11 18:21:56

@Ed9 

Have you tested multiple wireless devices to make sure the one device is not the bottleneck?

Options
2020-03-11 19:24:17

@Tony 

Yes, I have tried 3 different devices.

Options
2020-03-13 14:57:10

@Ed9 

Log into the router, go to Advanced > System Parameters, disable "WMM" for all bands and hit "Save". If the speeds are still the same, scroll further down in the menu and uncheck "NAT Boost", hit "Save" and test again on all devices.

Options
2021-04-06 15:00:05

@Ed9 

The router can put out a lot in regard to WiFi speed, but it can only do this if the receiving/client side can also support the fast speeds.

Also, keep in mind that WiFi speeds are "half-duplex" vs wired which is "full-duplex". This translates into real use speeds of half your shown status of wifi speed.

On a phone or laptop, you can see that status of the wifi, and it should tell you your speed. If it says you are connected at 100 Mbps, then your actual speed when doing an internet speedtest will show around 50 Mbps (give or take a bit).

The Ethernet standard these days is 1 Gbps (1024 Mbps), and its fully that speed each way.

vs

WiFi that is incredibly variable depending on 5 GHz vs 2.4 GHz, distance, dual band vs Tri band, and more. The advertised speeds for WiFi routers are misleading, since those speeds can really only be accomplished in the most optimal conditions that aren't realistic for most home users.

Common bottlenecks in the network are going to be:
WiFi speed of connection (learn the connected status from the client devices such as laptop or cell phone)

Using 5 GHz over 2.4 GHz, which will greatly increase your speed at the loss of distance, but only if your client devices support 5 GHz (most laptops and phones have supported this since about 2015 or so). If your router combines the frequencies into a single SSID (wifi name), then I'd undo that and configure them to have slightly different names. For example:
wifiname

wifiname_5G

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1330

Replies: 6

Related Articles