Deco E4 - slow 2.4 GHZ speed compared to 5 GHZ

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-15 12:35:29
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

HI,

I have recently bought 3 x E4 units. The maximum speed I can get from my modem is approx. 80Mbps. I am happy with this.

The majority of the devices I have connected via WIFI vis the DECO units are 5 GHZ compatible.  But I have an older mobile and laptop that only works on 2.4GHZ frequency.

If I do a test in same location with 2 mobiles( 1 on 2.4GHZ, the other on 5 GHZ), the wifi download speed is almost maximum at 80Mbps with the 5 GHZ network and approx 35Mbps with the 2.4GHZ network.

In the firthest location away from the Main Deco unit, the 2.4GHZ frequency mobile often drops out or is very slow. The 5 GHZ frequency devices do not have this issue.

Is there anything that can be done to make the 2.4GHZ frequenct more reliable or is there changes to the setup I need to do?

thanks

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco E4 - slow 2.4 GHZ speed compared to 5 GHZ
2020-03-16 18:21:37

@peelaaa 

It seems like there may be 2.4GHz interference from other networks. The 2.4Ghz should be reaching farther compared to the 5GHz, but it is not as fast. The 40 Mbps looks to be right, if you were getting 10 or single digits, that would be wrong.

If the 5GHz performance seems to be decent throughout the network then I'm thinking the following:

- Overcrowded 2.4GHz networks where you are, usually seen in apartments or dormitories. 

- The client devices need a different network card, maybe getting a simple USB network adapter to see if performance helps

- The 2.4GHz radio on the Decos could be bad especially if there are not other 2.4GHz networks.

Options