Deco farthest away from main Deco is using main Deco as signal source instead of Deco closer to it.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco farthest away from main Deco is using main Deco as signal source instead of Deco closer to it.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-20 01:38:39
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.4 build 20200221 rel 653925

Hi ,

Yesterday i purchased a three pack of the Deco M5 system.

I have connected the main deco to my modem in the kitchen area of our house.  The second Deco is in a bedroom approxinately 15 metres from the main deco behind two internal walls.  And the third is in a pool house approx 20 metres from the main deco but only approx 5 metres from the second deco in my daughters room.

Main deco and deco # 2 are running well with great download and upload speeds.

The thrid deco (Pool House) is receiving a signal but a bandwidth test shows half the speed of the other two.

The main issue is that the third Deco is using The main Deco (Kitchen) as its signal source instead of 2nd Deco (bedroom) which is only 5 metres away.  Looking through the App it does not appear possible to change this setting.

Any thoughts re a solution?  

Thanks in advance

Dmp

Options
10 Reply
Re:Deco farthest away from main Deco is using main Deco as signal source instead of Deco closer to it.
2020-03-20 20:45:05

@dmp32103 

No, there is no option to change what the Decos do on the back end. What you can look to do is run a Ethernet cable form one Deco to another to have a Ethernet backhaul.

Options
Re:Deco farthest away from main Deco is using main Deco as signal source instead of Deco closer to it.
2020-03-21 03:46:53

@Tony 

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply.

Running ethernet cable is not an option and hence the reason i purchased the Deco kit.  It does not make much sense at all that the deco farthest away still has to connect to the main deco.  

FYI i did manage to get the third deco to point towards the signal source of my second Deco by selecting IGMP option in the web based interface.

I will test the network over the coming week and if i am not satisfied with my resolution i'll return the Deco system as it is not very customizable.

Thanks

Dave

Tony wrote

@dmp32103 

No, there is no option to change what the Decos do on the back end. What you can look to do is run a Ethernet cable form one Deco to another to have a Ethernet backhaul.

Options
2020-03-21 20:19:15

@dmp32103 

Where did you see this setting to change? I went to the IP of my Deco devices and I don't have any settings like what you describe.

Options
2020-03-21 22:26:07

Bilago wrote

@dmp32103 

Where did you see this setting to change? I went to the IP of my Deco devices and I don't have any settings like what you describe.

@Bilago 

Hi Bilago,

I went to http://tplinkdeco.net from my web browser.

You are then pressneted with a web absed interface.  Choose the advanced option then system parameters.  You can turn on IGMP from here.

good luck

Options
2020-03-21 23:17:43

@dmp32103 Thank you for the screenshot.

I went to that location and looks like my mesh network doesn't support that feature, the option isn't there

Options
2020-09-04 22:04:21 - last edited 2020-09-04 22:08:14

Can anyone confirm, are the Decos even meant to support Daisy Chaining? Or, do satellite units ALWAYS have to connect to the main router unit?

I want to arrange three m9 plus units in a (roughly) linear fashion. There is a unit in the office, which is the Primary router and is hardwired to a cable modem. There's another m9 in the kitchen and then one in the garage. Additionally, I have 3 m5 units that I had planned to add to the network later, around the periphery.

Every satellite unit just connects back to the main router in the office (I've tried multiple times, even using the m5 units). So the one in the garage has an off and on one bar connection and is unusable. If it would just connect to the one in the kithchen, it should be well within range. This is driving me nuts!

If they can't Daisy chain then I need to return these ASAP. Can someone please confirm what these things are capable of?

Options
2020-10-16 21:09:10
It doesn’t look like TPLink Support will answer this question.
Options
2020-10-20 20:59:58

Our Deco units do daisy chain, here is an example of all the Deco units being connected via Wi-Fi only:

The Deco system will evaluate what is around it, what seems like is closer or better is different when dealing with wireless signal and going an additional network hop rather than going directly to the main Deco.

If you want a Deco to connect to a specific unit, then you need to wire it or the Deco will pick the best wireless connection based on what it sees.

Options
2020-11-24 20:42:42

@dmp32103 Move third deco so far away from Main Deco that it cant connect, it will then connect to second ddco. Then you moght be able to move third deco back to its correct decision without it changing back to Main Deco as its source. 

Options
2021-11-03 14:29:16
I can confirm this worked for me. I have an acre yard and a shop on the other side of the yard. Placed one Deco in a window and the other at the shop and it switched from using the Main.
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 6624

Replies: 10