WiFi Speeds on Deco W2400

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-28 20:32:41
Model: Deco W2400  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 build 20190823 Rel. 48803

Is the top speed of this WiFi router 100Mbps? Online it says up to 300 Mobs on 2.4 GHz WiFi. 

Options
8 Reply
Re:WiFi Speeds on Deco W2400
2020-03-30 21:28:04

@MorbidWiFi 

The routers will show the internal wireless transfer speeds so 300 Mbps etc.. However, if you are wondering how much speed will you get from the internet, then you take into account what the WAN port speed is. In this case the W2400 is 100 Mbps so that is the max the Deco will be able to pull into its WAN port and provide to the connected users.

If you have internet speed faster then 100 Mbps, then you want a Deco that has a Gigabit port (1000 Mbps), such as the Deco M9.

Options
2021-06-26 08:12:56

@MorbidWiFi 

Yes you did get mislead like most customers. It says up too (300mbps) on the lower 2.4ghz band on specs, but can only produce speeds up too (100mbps) through it's connection via "fast Ethernet WAN port". Ummm???but??? you said???? Hey, at least they warn you that their products blast you with harmful radiation waves. There's nothing misleading about that, but for your frustrations at least you will have a SLOW internet connection. The bad comes with the bad on this system. Double whammy from your friends who make your Deco

Options
2021-06-28 17:57:36

@DCB131.-_ 

Hello DC.  No one was mislead.  What you are referring to is the maximum possible advertised linkrate.  As an industry standard we use linkrate versus internet rate as an advterising mechinsim because it is something we control.  We are not the ISP so can't gaurantee you an internet speed and the main factor on what internet speed you may be able to recieve is based on the Phyiscal ethernet port that connects the rotuer to the modem.  As the Deco W2400 is limited to 10/100 or Fast ethernet your maximum speed is 100 Mbps.   

The linkrate on the other had indicates 300 Mbps.  This is the maximum possible speed at which a client device can communicate wiht the router or with another client.  But it does not equate to the internet speed a customer may or may not see.

Options
2021-10-14 00:02:48

@Tony 

If this router the maxmum speed is 100 mbps, why the box said it is AC1200 standered. For other brand routers, it means they can provide the maxmum speed to 1200 Mbps. Also the description said the similar thing. It is so confused. I think TP link should give a proper name to the products. Not all the customers has so much background knowledge. 

here is the decription for most seller website like amazon...

Deco W2400 provides fast and stable connections with speeds of up to 1167 Mbps and works with the major internet service provider (ISP) and modem.

Options
2021-10-14 02:01:46

Carl wrote

@DCB131.-_ 

Hello DC.  No one was mislead.  What you are referring to is the maximum possible advertised linkrate.  As an industry standard we use linkrate versus internet rate as an advterising mechinsim because it is something we control.  We are not the ISP so can't gaurantee you an internet speed and the main factor on what internet speed you may be able to recieve is based on the Phyiscal ethernet port that connects the rotuer to the modem.  As the Deco W2400 is limited to 10/100 or Fast ethernet your maximum speed is 100 Mbps.   

The linkrate on the other had indicates 300 Mbps.  This is the maximum possible speed at which a client device can communicate wiht the router or with another client.  But it does not equate to the internet speed a customer may or may not see.

@Carl 

I'm sorry, Carl, I'm going to call BS on this response. My internet was capable of 300Mbps. I at the time didn't have the fastest Comcast could provide, but way faster than this router was able to provide. 

If the Ethernet speed is limited to 100Mbps, then that means the router is limited. Unless you are going to use these as range extenders for another router, but most people buying these are not going to know the difference and they are going to be (like I was) disappointed.

I also will never buy TP Link again. Your company hides behind terms and purposely limits them. And I'm for one not going to try to figure out by reading the small text and hoping your accurately displaying the information. 

Options
2021-10-14 17:05:48

@MorbidWiFi 

We are not hiding behind anything.  I was explaining how the industry as a whole adverizes a devices speed rating.  We have never nor will we ever specifically state a internet speed.  We state what the etherent is, in the case of Decos this is either; ethernet (Fast or 10/100) or Gigabit (10/100/1000) and the maximum combined Link rate.  You can find the individual band max Link rate on our website under the products specs page.  Link rates aren't even absoulte.  They depend of the radio configuration of the router and client, the number of clients, intference, congestion and load, just to name a few.  This is in no way being deceptive or hiding behind anything but simply how the industry has advertised for at least as long as I have been in the business, which is longer than I care to admit (I'm getting old).  

The Deco W2400 does have one thing going for it though If you add a unit like the Deco M4 or Deco M5 as the base, and make the Deco W2400 all wireless backhual enabled remote nodes you may very well see speeds beyond 100 Mbps for clients attached to 5GHz.  Clients hardwired and on 2.4GHz will still be limited to up to 100 Mbps though as those are the limitations of the ports and 2.4GHz wireless. 

Options
2022-02-02 22:19:36 - last edited 2022-02-02 22:21:04

@Carl Count me in as one of those customers who is sitting here angrily banging my head after reconfiguring my entire home networking setup with this newly purchased Deco W2400 system to discover that my maximum wired and WiFi/wireless internet speeds are now limited to a terribly unacceptable 100 Mbps for each device. THIS NEEDS TO BE CLEARLY STATED ON THE BOX.

My raw internet speed from my ISP with their stock router is around 800 Mbps for both upload and download and now I'm at 1/8th of what I had before :(

The Deco W2400 and its very limited 100 Mbps-capped speed didn't even leave me with enough bandwidth to successfully talk with TP-Link customer service moments ago when I placed a call using my cellular phone via WiFi calling on my home network. The call kept dropping out for 20 or more seconds at a time and the TP-Link employee couldn't hear me at all and had to call me back. That never happened before.

My question here, which I'm sure you will not answer because it voids warranties and blah blah blah, but is it technically possible for me to at least improve the maximum wired ethernet connection speed by using a soldering iron and removing the crappy 100 Mbps-max ethernet port/jack that is built in to this device and soldering a different ethernet jack/port/card onto the motherboard in its place? Can I desolder one of the ports on my unused Archer A7 v5 router and solder it to the main/modem-connected deco mesh station?

Options
2022-02-03 00:13:32

@richaardvark 

The Deco W2400 was designed to be a cheap entry point for Mesh systems.  While i might agree that simply stating Ethernet on the packaging might be a bit confusing if compared to other model that state Gigabit it does become more clear.  However, I have personally spoke with the product team about how this could be confusing.  

As to your question, yes it would void the warranty but I don't know if it would work or not.  I would want to say its possible but I just don't know. However there is a very simple solution.  Get a Deco M4 or M5 1-pack.  Add this unit as your Main unit connected to the internet provider.  The Deco W2400s could then be remote wireless nodes and speeds to them through 5GHz would be faster than 100 Mbps.  anything phyically connected to the Deco W2400 or using its 2.4GHz would be limited to 100 Mbps because of the limitations of the ports and the band but this could be a cost effective way to solve your concern and also expands the coverage zone. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5520

Replies: 9

Related Articles