Deco M9 Plus Firmware Update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-01 13:40:25
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.12 Build 20191014 Rel 42025

When is the next firmware update for the Deco M9 Plus (V2) going to be made available via the In-App update?  

I have a nearly brand new V2 but can't update to the most recent firmware (published 21 Feb 2020 w/wifi stability and bug fixes) because I can't access the Web Controls because I don't have the most recent firmware. I understand the 21 Feb update supposedly wasn't too significant from reading other posts; however, because it didn't push out via the App, I can't use the Web Controls for my router, which stops me from having more indepth controls than offered in the simple App interface. For example, I can't fix the time zone issue that's causing my kids' bed times to trigger 5 hours ahead of their actual scheduled time. 

Previous rumors had a V2 update being pushed "in March 2020." I understand that probably got affected by COVID-19 responses so I'm sympathetic to a delay. But I would like to know when TP-Link will let me have my device's full functionality (and when I can expect the device to get the same smart home capabilities as the older M5).

Thanks in advance!

Options
18 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus Firmware Update
2020-04-01 14:43:27

@42K1D I think there are a lot of us in the same boat.  Seems real silly they released a newer Deco with less features and now the firmware updates are behind.  I would have just gottne the M5 had I known this

Options
2020-04-03 05:33:34

@42K1D I just spent the last 3 hours on Live Chat Support after getting Hung Up on twice with Phone Support.
Im in the same boat with you. I just received my Deco M9 Plus V2 a few days ago.

Been trying to log into the web based settings to update the firmware to fix some small issues I've had.

They're escalting my ticket and I wont get an answer till Monday. I'll update you if there's an actual solution.
If there isn't I'm definetly returning this and purchasing a competitor model.

Options
2020-04-03 22:17:33

@ryu23 There is no web interface for the M9 as of now.

But which issues are you having? I've been running M9 for some time now and have had no issues at all. Still, I'd like some of the features that the never coming firmware update will bring.

Options
2020-04-05 15:20:56

I got the v2 version from Costco. It says formware version 1.2.12. Your website has a update after this buy app foes not recognize it. How to update to latest firmware? Also let me know if I can install v1 firmware on v2 hardware. My current version foes not have web interface so dont know how to proceed.

Options
2020-04-06 23:34:42

@janxipanx you're lucky if you haven't experienced any issues. I live in a weirdly shaped home and purchased the deco to help get signal in all parts of my home.
I'm getting extremely spotty connection on all stock settings. I've looked and my Wifi Analyzer and have noticed my Network is on a few busy channels in my area.
And yes I've done the reboots and moved the decos. I've switch them around to see which one would work best as my main deco as well.

Options
2020-04-06 23:38:12

@42K1D Honestly wouldn't even bother waiting for this firmware to come out at this point. All that time I spent with customer service a few days ago and the only response was

"The new firmware will come out soon". Well how soon is soon? If you look at their firmware page for the M9 plus it looks like it was released 2.21.2020. So which is it?

Options
2020-04-06 23:45:19

@ryu23 what kind of issues are you seeing?  You may just need more Deco's to cover your house.  Or there could be something interfering with your signal.

Options
2020-04-07 22:28:02

@03SVTCobra 
So initially when I set up the Main Deco and the Satalitte Nodes everything was fine was seeing 230 Down and 13 up. Exactly what my ISP is providing.
A few days later without any tweaks to the Deco my connection through the home became extremely spotty.
Sitting in front of the Main node I was seeing 40 down 1 up with Ping being as high as 3,557. 

I've done a full reboot of the system and created a new network no settings touched.
You're really lucky that you're not having issues cause this has gotten out of hand for me.

Options
2020-04-17 03:22:09

@ryu23 I got this from Customer Support via email after some further follow up. Based on the challenges I've had with the installed firmware, I haven't taken the leap to attempt the beta version linked in the response. I also find it odd that I got offered this beta when so many in the community have similar issues but haven't. Anyway, here's some info for the v2: 

"we've had feedbacks like this before. Glad to know the timezone is correct now. But if the issue happens again or you're still interested in our Web Interface, you may try the beta firmware below first which could support the Web Interface. The guidance is contained in the zip file as well.
Deco M9 V2: 
static.tp-link.com/2020/202003/20200324/M9v2_1.4.0.zip

After the beta firmware being successfully upgraded, you may log in to your Deco’s web UI and click Advanced>System>Time Setting and have a check about whether your Deco is showing the right time.
Note: how to log in to the web UI of your Deco: www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2641/

Thanks for your cooperation and patience."

Options
2020-05-04 13:42:08

@ryu23 I had the same problem as I needed to update the router time zone so that the parental controls worked correctly (on

ryu23 wrote

@42K1D I just spent the last 3 hours on Live Chat Support after getting Hung Up on twice with Phone Support.
Im in the same boat with you. I just received my Deco M9 Plus V2 a few days ago.

Been trying to log into the web based settings to update the firmware to fix some small issues I've had.

They're escalting my ticket and I wont get an answer till Monday. I'll update you if there's an actual solution.
If there isn't I'm definetly returning this and purchasing a competitor model.

bedtime setting).  Seems like Version 2 has an issue and you cannot access the the admin website (saw it  posted somewhere else).  My workaround was to figure out how what the current incorrect time zone was and set bedtime settings by + 4 hours .... 

Options