Best router with parental control features

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-06 23:16:19

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my Linksys Wireless Router and I'm looking into TP-Link for this purpose.

I'm not a gamer but we are 5 in my house constantly using wifi for streaming music, work, Netflix, etc....

My priority is to have fast streaming from all devices and the best parental control capabilities available.  I currently have a Linksys that can do certain parental controls but I haven't been able to block Youtube from my kids IOS devices.  According to Linksys, the parental control capability of their router is limited to block URL protocols or websites when used from computers but it won't block the Youtube App from being able to access the Web.

I've been looking into several TP-Link options but the specifications are confusing.   Some routers says it provides:  HomeCare (Parental Control), some others just say Parental Controls and some others say Advanced Parental control powered by TrendMicro.  What's the difference between all of them?

I am looking at the following ARCHER models:  C4000, AX6000 & AX3000.   Although I'm not concerned about pricing if I'm getting the best for the features I'm looking for, I don't want to pay for features that aren't relevant to me like IPv6 or wifi speeds about 2Mbps.  My ISP max speed is 1500Mbps.

Please provide feedback on the options I have picked or your recommendation if better.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Best router with parental control features
2020-04-07 15:41:45

@Dexor30 

If you are looking to block apps, then use the router that have HomeCare powered by TrendMicro like the C4000 or AX6000. In this case I would go with the AX6000. The AX3000 has a in house form of HomeCare. If you visit each router on our official website you can go to the support section, and see the emulators for each to see how both differ.

Options
2020-12-21 04:41:14

@Dexor30 

I found blockin the following URLs work router (not TP-Link).

youtube.com

ytimg.com

ytimg.l.google.com

youtube.l.google.com

googlevideo.com

Options
2021-02-23 19:40:54

@Dexor30 I'd stay away from this brand of router. The forums are full of frustrated parents whoare parental controls don't work,myself included. 

I have an Archer A10  I have disabled the "private mac addresses" feature in all my kids phones.  I went on a browser to add my kids devices to the parental controls (couldn't do that in the app). I added their devices then input the names of all the websites I wanted blocked (www.reddit.com). I also added just the keyword (reddit). I left the time limits blank, since I take their devices at bedtime and when their time is up. I made all my changes, saved them and rebooted the router.  Nothing.  Kids devices could access all the prohibited websites with no problem.  This router is a waste of money.  I'd suggest visting the forums of any router youre interested in and search parental controls before buying a router.  I regret not doing that for my purchase. 

Options
2021-02-23 22:39:30

@SokeyDokey 

thanks for you comments.  it's been frustrated to find a router that can manage all the functionalities I'm looking for.  I have ended up doing multiple things with the help of my Xfinity router and Qustodio which I ended up installing in each device.

Kids are clever.  You block one way, they find another so it's a constant chase behind my kids and my computer knowledge which I have a good one but don't have too much time to keep managing my network security.  I feel like a network security guy always tracking and defining more controls.  only problem is that it's time consuming and I don't get paid for that :)

When I feel exhausted, I just block wifi access using the device MAC.  then I can be positive they don't have any internet access but I which I could be more granular and be confident that when blocking a site, there's no workaround for it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2242

Replies: 4

Related Articles