Removing Tether more than doubled my network speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-10 16:23:49 - last edited 2020-04-14 18:21:33
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6

I saw mentioned in some other posts here that the Tether phone app was causing routers to slow down.  I followed the advice - delinked my device from TP Link cloud management, removed the tether app from my phone, and factory reset my router.  Sure enough, my speed more than doubled!

Sure it's great to have speeds closer to what I'm paying for, but it's rediculous that TP Link shoots themselves in the foot with their own app.  And, because I don't have Tether any more, I no longer have access to the HomeCare functionality that's supposed to come with this router, namely QoS and Parental Controls (if you try to go to those features in the web-based admin interface, you just get a page telling you that functionality is only available in Tether).

I'm a new TP Link customer and really want to like you guys, but come on!

P.S. My recommendation is NOT to push us further to big-brother style administration.  I want full funcitonality local to my router without needing a cloud account at all.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1375

Replies: 0

Related Articles