AX3000 access control not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-11 13:11:23
Model: AC50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.6

I've tried to setup access control to only allow specific devices (MAC addresses) to access to the network. On my old TP-Link such was done via the "Wireless MAC Filtering" function, and worked fine.

On the new AX3000, this function is no longer being offered, however there is an "Access Control" function under the Security tab, which allows to work with a blacklist or whitelist.

Upon selecting whitelist, the router has then automatically added all wireless devices in the house to the "whitelist", and all devices were then also shown under "online devices".

I can remove the devices from the "whitelist", but as soon as I click the "SAVE" button to confirm the changes, all devices pop up again in the "whitelist", as well as under "online devices", and can access the internet.

What must I do in order to allow only specific devices in my network?

I'm using the AX3000 in the "Router" operation mode, DHCP is disabled, firmware is updated to 1.06

Options
1 Reply
Re:AX3000 access control not working
2020-04-13 18:58:56

@William67 

Hi William,

When you go to Access Control and enable it the online device list is the list of devices that are currently on the wifi or wired to the router.  When you add devices to the white list and save it should then allow those devices in the whitelist to access the internet and network resources but the other devices may still show connected to the AP, they just won't be able to pass any traffic.  

If it is not working there is one thing we can test to see if its the feature that is the issue.  Change your SSID name,  Thus breaking all device connections.  Then setup one single device but add it the white list.  Once its confrimed and is working then try to add a second device.  If it does not have internet then the service is working properly.  If it does we may need to work with the software team to see what is going on.

Also by turning off DHCP you may not actually need to use Access Control. With DHCP turnned off, unless you have another device providing the DHCP service no device will be handed an IP.  If you don't then just setup each device statically, assign each device an IP address.  Devices that are not setup statically can't access your network becasue they won't have an IP.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1459

Replies: 1

Related Articles