Program updates broken

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Program updates broken

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Program updates broken
Program updates broken
2020-04-13 12:50:56
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Ver 2.8

Just installed - I have no problems with overall connectivity to the internet.  But software updates for programs like Bitdefender and Windows Update are all failing.  I can find no obvious way to change those programs' proxy settings as I did with my browser.  Any ideas?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Program updates broken
2020-04-14 15:52:29

@Hiraeth 

We haven't had any similar feedback before.  Have you tired connecting directly to your modem to see if you can replicate the issue?  Also can you do the following:

go to the router's interface click on the Advanced> Network> Internet> Advanced> Use the following DNS addresses. 

Then type in Primary:  8.8.8.8 Secondary: 8.8.4.4.  Click save and reboot the router then test again and see if the downloads work. 

Options
2020-04-14 19:12:19

@Carl 

Okay, so I did as you suggested, and still no Windows Update, which also means no malware definitions from Bitdefender as well - don't like that at all.  While I was connected direct from the PC's network adapter to the cable modem, I tried connecting to Windows Update and while I could pull the site up, when I searched for updates, the search eventually timed out reporting back an error code that I couldn't trace down in a brief online search.  This leads me to believe it's a MAC address problem.  Changing the DNS server addresses didn't affect anything, so I've changed them back to what they were originally presumably assigned during the DHCP process.  My next stop is the helpdesk @ my ISP, I suppose.  I can't be the only customer who's attached a wi-fi router to one of their cable modems.smiley

Options
2020-04-15 00:18:36

@Hiraeth 

Let us know how it turns out.  I have seen in the past where traffic routing was to blame.  A hope in the route is blocked or flagged causing specific traffic to break.  That is why we suggested using Google's Free DNS servers, that usually fixes the issue and they are usually more reliable than the ones supplied by the ISP.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 392

Replies: 3

Related Articles