Deco M5 Configuration - Not Mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-13 16:26:06
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Latest

The power went out last night during some storms and when everything came back up, the speeds were slow in my lower level.

When I checked everything this morning, all of the additional Deco M5s I have around my house are all showing as connected to the MAIN DECO, called "Dining Room". I swear that before, when looking at the status of each device, it would show the other Deco that it was connected to, that was closest with the strongest signal. Isn't that how the whole mesh thing is supposed to work? If they are all trying to connect to the main deco, it defeats the purpose of having a mesh network when the furthest deco is showing 1bar signal strength.

To try and resolve, I removed the one in my office from the setup, and I connected to the Deco one story up just fine. THen I added the other Deco back and it still shows low signal strength to the main Deco on the other end of the house that is up a level.

What am I missing? Has been working fine for 2 years.

Thanks in advance!

Options
10 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Configuration - Not Mesh
2020-04-13 21:47:56

@fatmikeATL 

Well electical outages have been know to cause surges as the power is going out and when restored.  If the Deco were not connected to surge protectors that would mean there is a chance that electical damage could take place.  

In a Mesh system every unit links to every other unit.  if a link between two units goes bad traffic will be redirected down another available path.  This is the purpose of self-healing and could be what is going on.  If this is the case what I would do is reset to default all remote units.  Then one by one add them back into the network having the configurtion re-loaded to each unit.  Place them back into the same areas and resume testing and normal operation.  If the same issue is happening switch the main unit with one of the remotes a and test again.  

From there let us kow the results. 

Options
2020-04-17 10:57:23 - last edited 2020-04-17 10:58:09

@Carl @fatmikeATL I've had the same issue since I applied a firmware upgrade: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/203838

Perhaps it is nothing to do with the firmware but just that it forced a reboot of my M9 devices.

Either way, my mesh network is now useless since all devices only connect to the main even when the signal from that device is terrible.

I've tried switching the devices around, including changing which one is designated as the Main unit - no dice :(

Options
2020-04-17 19:25:52

@Moulson 

we have reached out to the software team to investigate

thank you for the update. 

Options
2020-05-21 01:39:19

@Carl This problem still exists and I can't successfully roll back the firmware version. Way to test your builds before pushing out to production. 

Your dev guys need to get this fixed ASAP. 

Options
2020-05-21 11:57:58

I have the same issue.

There was a satellite much closer, but the unit still trying to reach the main Deco which is far away and signal is weak.
It made the system not usable as it keep dropping off every 10 mins sometmie even more frequent !

Is there any fix ?

Options
2020-05-27 17:16:41

@Soki 

Hi Soki

Tap on the client device in your client list and make sure Mesh technology is enabled.  If its not and your Client was connected to the far end node before then this could be what is causing the concern. 

Our Engineers let me know about a article they published on our global community that explains this better.  Please see the section Mesh Technology

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/180194

Options
2020-05-27 18:26:17

@Carl 

Mesh has always been enabled. This was a bug introduced in the last build of firmware. And I can't roll back my version for some reason. The option is grayed out!

Options
2020-05-28 00:01:12

@fatmikeATL 

Hi Mike.  I am sorry to here that.  I have forward that statement to our Engineering team for further input and interaction.  I'll let you know when i have something.

Options
2020-05-28 15:44:56

@fatmikeATL 

Engineering would like to know your phone type, model and OS version 

Options
2020-06-02 19:05:38

@fatmikeATL Glad to hear someone else is having issues with this...  Ever since the last upgrade the wireless backhual will only run at 5Mbs and all units point to the one that is physically plugged into the router.   Speed tests from the router are good, speed test from PCs plugged into the back of the Deco which is physically cabled are good.  every other device connecting from non-"primary" deco are limited by the mesh connetion.

Options