Limiting bandwidth of a device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-13 17:50:34
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20200216 rel.72186(5553)

The QOS setting seem to be very remedial, Most QOS configs of routers at this level allow bandwith to be limited at the device level.

if your spending several hundered dollars on  routers you expect to have access to advaned setting or an expert mode. 

Have I missed something ? Is there a UI area that I am missing ,    

Options
5 Reply
Re:Limiting bandwidth of a device
2020-04-13 21:20:34

@KWB 

What you are referring to is a different type of QOS.  That is device based QOS.  The QOS used by the AX11000 is application based.  Instead of applying QOS rules to each device the QOS is assigned by application allowing the router to know which devices get priorty based on the traffic they are transmitiing.  It is a user friendly intellgent way for QOS to manage the priorty of traffic.  Also You can use the 5 GHz 2 band for gaming priority over wireless.   

Options
2020-04-13 22:17:34

@Carl I am refering to the AX11000,   The ability to limit the bandwith or packet priority from a device based on IP,  destination port,  traffic type FTP, HTTP etc 

Like on a C3150,C3200  you have bandwith control.  , It does not call out QOS but that is the result .  At some point the dev team or product owner decided to take the control out of the hands of the person who need or wants to solve problems via software. 

I am not a gamer but I am a extreme power user. I dont have a corp budget so I cant buy enterprise level equipment or I would.

With the new normal being work from home , I have 40+ devices and I dont have a way to limit the bandwith of my kids devices 

Today most devices can staurate a port, Even a RPI 4 has gigabit network and quad cores 

KB

Options
2020-04-13 22:25:59

@KWB 

QOS and Bandwidth Control are two different service that serve similar purposes.  Most router will have one or the other.  The AX11000 opts for QOS due to the nature of the rotuer being gaming focused.  What you are looking for isn't a possiblity in this router.  You can use parental controls to pause the internet to all devices in a profile or even set up time limits to limit their access but reducing bandwith per device is not possible. 

Options
2021-11-02 07:05:50

@Carl 

This is very disappointing, I wish they will add this option in the next firmware update

Options
2021-11-18 00:24:29

@Miller79 

Unfortunately for routers that feature HomeCare and HomeSheild that will not be a feature that will be added.  Routers generally will only have one feature that address the particular concern and with a router like the AX11000 that way is through the more robust QOS feature.  I will admit though that for customers that want to limit bandwidth specifically that it is not as ideal.   

Options