Deco M4 one laptop no access to internet but still connected

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-15 15:09:44
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I bought a Deco M4 unit not too long ago, and it has 3 units.  It has worked very well until recently when my laptop started randomly disconnecting from the internet, but was still connected to the router, and in order to get it back I have to disconnect and reconnect.  I have a lot of other erquipment including several Amazon Fire sticks, a few desktops, a thermostat, a robotic vacuum, etc. that seem to have no problem, but this one laptop does.  It is an older laptop, but it worked perfectly for the last couple months until this started happening a couple of days ago.  Cooincidentally I had to do a fresh install of Windows 10 yesterday, and the problem persisted after that.

I would think it could be a few things, so let me know if anyone else has an idea...

1.  A Windows update broke something, and after downloading the latest WIndows 10 that update was included so the problem persisted even after install.

2.  This isn't a software issue, but a hardware problem with the wifi adpater on my laptop.

3.  There is something that happened with the Deco M4.

I think a problem with the M4 is unlikely because dozens of other thing sare connected with no problem, but if anyone has suggestions I would really appreciate them.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M4 one laptop no access to internet but still connected
2020-04-15 22:40:58

@Motown 

Yes issues with the Deco M4 is unlikely based on other devices working.  What may be the case is that adapter may need a driver update.  The lastest build of Windows 10 may have broke the driver for the laptop.  We have seen it even with our adapters in the past with new builds of windows.  We would defiantly recommed going to the product page for your laptop model and install all updates available, espcially for the network adapter. 

Options
2020-04-16 13:38:50

@Carl One of the first things I tried is to update the driver, and when that didn't work I rolled it back to different versions to see if any worked which they didn't.  I do think I found a solution to the problem even though I don't know why that would be.  I went into the properties of the wifi adpater, and one of the settings allows you to specify 802.11B, 802.11G, or 802.11B/G, so essentially you can set the speed manually or allow it to auto negotiate if you choose both.  it was set at B/G so I changed it to B and now it works., no more disconnects. I'm not sure why this would occur, and why it started being a problem all of a sudden, but I don't need higher speeds than B so I won't need to answer that.  Thanks for your help!

Options
2020-04-16 16:11:15

@Motown 

Yeah that is unusal to say for sure.  My only thought is that the new update to the windows system broke the driver and the manuafacture will need to release an update.  If greater speeds are needed I would defiantly contact the manufacture to let them know of the issue, in case they don't already know.  

Options
2020-04-16 22:58:25

@Carl Now that I think about it I bet that this has nothing to do with auto negotating a speed or anything like that, but it has to do with 802.11G.  I also set it manually to G and it still disconnected, so it doesn't like that speed for some reason... calls into question if it is the network adapter or the Deco.

Options
2020-04-17 19:01:50

@Motown 

So it will connect at B but anything G and above it will not?  That is weird.  Most times if only one device has issues we chalk it up to that device, after all other devices are working so by mere factors of rulling out the obvious it would point to the client device.  I'd lean towards that even more in this case if for nothing else the fact that only 802.11B seems to connect.  I know you said the computer is old so it might just be a factor of hardware incompatiblity.  Think of how some App for Android or iOS require a specific version of the OS to work.  

My recommendation would be to purchase a USB network card,  They are very inexpensive and as long as its a newer version should have no compatiblity issues with newer OS.  If you wanted a TP-Link one I would look into the Archer T2U plus.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 818

Replies: 5