Slow WiFi in 1 corner of the house

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-18 19:37:56
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I live in an 1100 square foot, 2 story condo. I have an Archer A7 Wireless Router. it is located on the 2nd floor in the North Western corner of the house. It works great all over the house, even on the patio, except for the downstairs South Eastern corner, extreme opposite of the router location. I have both a laptop and a TV with a Google Chromecast in that area. I can connect but we get drop out. Watching Netflix for example, we get constant buffering. This area is about 35 feet from the router location, accounting for the difference in elevation. The condo is wood frame and drywall construction. 

I can have the Cable Modem location moved, so that I can put the router in a more central location but the cable company will charge about $100 for that. It seems like it would be better to put that money towards a mesh system, however, it seems like this router should work in a place this small.

Does anyone have any advice to get better performance out of it? Thank you for your help.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Slow WiFi in 1 corner of the house
2020-04-18 20:49:09
The 2.4 GHz WIFI will have more range and the 5 GHz has faster speed so use 2.4 for that dead area. You can try moving the router temporally by getting a long length of cable to see if moving it is worth the move. Also try turning, raise, lower, move a bit, and move the antennas if see if that helps. Many times small changes make a difference. Try selecting specific WIFI channels and band width as you may have interference. You can try a extender or if you have an old router that will work as an access point. A Mesh system would be great.
Options
2020-04-18 23:57:46

@ArcherC8 ,

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I have a project for tomorrow. 

Options
2020-04-20 21:20:37

@donebb 

Since you have an A7 you can get a extender that has OneMesh capabilities, it aims to give you a mesh experience using what you already have: https://www.tp-link.com/us/onemesh/compatibility/

For myself, I would probably get the M9 for coverage, but if you want to keep the A7, you can just grab a RE305. Before getting anything additional @ArcherC8 gave good suggestions to see if a little modifying may solve your problem without needing to spend any money.

Options