Wifi works but kicks out my laptop connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-20 14:22:55
Model: Archer C8  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 build 20160804 rel.40276

Hey everyone thought I could ask here for some help. I tried so many ways but this new wifi router that I purchased has been a pain when using my laptop. When I use the wifi for my mobile it runs smooth no issues. However for my laptop, the wifi kicks me off. Then if I reconnect many times the wifi router just restarts. Its the stranges thing I never had any of these issues with other wifi routers.

So I tried few things; I tried connecting to the 2.4ghz network over the 5ghz to see if it was related to that. I tried being right next to the router see if that helps. I also changed the channel width and channel so there isn't any interference. I also don't own a microwave so I don't know what other devices can cause interference. This is very frustrating as I tried to do everything just on my own by reading what others have done. I am not having any success. Can any of you help me I would greatly appreciate it. I also did a hard reset and that didn't work either.

Options
14 Reply
Re:Wifi works but kicks out my laptop connection
2020-04-21 16:05:08

@BobbyTP 

Have you tried wiring your computer to the router to see if the router restarts?

Options
2020-04-22 16:51:44

@Tony 

Yes I tried connecting the Wifi Router to the laptop using Ethernet and it works fine. So I know its nothing to do with wirred connection.

I have been having hard to getting support to even respond to my emails. Last time they answered something was 5 days ago.

This has been very frustrating experience. I appreciate your help bud.

Options
2020-04-22 20:24:36

@BobbyTP 

Sorry to hear about your experience with support, the COVID virus is not doing any favors.

What is the model of your laptop and the model of the Wi-Fi card?

Options
2020-04-23 15:25:31

@Tony 

Yes and I still haven't heard back from support. I am trying to be patient right now but its so frustrating.

Here is what I have for wifi card:

Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter

For the type of laptop I have a Sony Vaio from like 2013

There was someone in the forum that said in my device setting it allows for wifi to be shut off to save power. I had took that setting off and still my wifi reboots while I am using it randomly. If it happened once or twice I would probably just live with it. However it happens so frequently that I don't even bother usiing wifi for my laptop. Which is very hard to do because I am staying wired in one area of the home.

Options
2020-04-23 15:33:53
Is your firmware up to date? Also you can try a factory re-set and reenter your settings.
Options
2020-04-23 17:03:11 - last edited 2020-04-23 17:04:52

@ArcherC8 

My firmware is 1.0.0 Build 20160804 rel40276

Is that the version I should be on?

I also did a whole factory reset before, as I tried to resolve this issue myself through reading this forum. Reset did not change anything for the better. My only way using laptop has been through a wired connection to the wifi. If I connect to the wifi it constantly kicks me off. I have tried using the 2.4ghz vs 5 and so many other variables.

Options
2020-04-23 17:25:53

@BobbyTP 

I looked around and someone with a VAIO said they disabled UPNP on their router (not sure of the model).

What UPnP does it when you connect a device to your router, the device can have the router automatically forward ports needed for outside communication. Typically on gaming consoles, it is useful for.

Options
2020-04-27 21:07:48 - last edited 2020-04-27 21:09:12

@Tony 

Okay I did as you suggested lets see how it works. I also had a minor success. I turned my modem off for like few hours. Then for few days I had no issues of the wifi router shutting off. Then today all of a sudden I had this issue again. The wifi just shuts off and I lose internet. happened twice within 30min, during the time. My laptop was near the wifi router. I also had my mobile phone near me as well. Could this device be so fragile that two devices going near it collpases it? I am not sure what to do anymore. As its very frustrating dealing with this on and off. I also could return this to the store within next few days, but with whole coronavirus things aren't easy.

Options
2020-04-28 23:20:03

@BobbyTP 

When you say the Wi-Fi shuts off, what is the status of the LED lights on the router? What is the status of the LED light on the internet light? Does it turn amber?

You can easily have up to 20 multiple devices connected so something else may be causing it.

Options
2020-05-01 01:16:53

@BobbyTP I had that same issue with a brand new router for the past 2 years. After finally wanting to research it and doing all that I have found, by enabling dhcp server, setting static IPS, having Upnp Enabled and (along with a few xbox's being port forwarded with static ips) everything began to just work with no issues.

I'd first try enabling DHCP SERVER (INTERNET TAB) as a start. Also underneath it will show address reservation, you can add/enable ips and macs for devices. I also have to have UPNP enabled for gaming reasons. Not sure if it's a must for things to work For Your situation. 

I just know after finally figuring things out after so long, this is a game changer and the only thing that would make everything work flawlessly.

Happy Netting. Hope this helps!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1593

Replies: 14