Archer A20 V3 slow WiFi at a distance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-22 04:08:03
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20191026 rel.16299(5553)

Hello,

I've had my TP-Link AC4000 for about 2 months now and it's been absolutely great until today. The internet went out around noon today and the first thing I did when it happened was restart the router remotely. It came back up but I was unable to connect to the SSID and then it kept dissapearing and coming back. I did a hard reset on the router and it went back to normal. Shortly after that the internet was restored and all seemed well. Except now when I'm connected to the WiFi I only get our full connection speed (100Mbps) if I'm right next to the router. If I just go across the room a little bit it drops down to around 2Mbps.

My suspicion is that the wifi radios were damaged somehow when I did the remote restart of the router after the internet went out. When I do a speed test from within the router admin panel the results are what they should be. When I do a speed test on a device plugged into the router via ethernet it's what it should be. When I do a speed test on a device over WiFi right near the router it's what it should be. However, when I do a speed test on a device over WiFi 5+ feet away from the router the speed drops significantly and becomes unusable for certain things.

My firmware is up to date and I've already done a hard reset. I'm not sure what else to do outside of calling for a replacement. Thoughts?

Thank you!

Jared

Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer A20 V3 slow WiFi at a distance
2020-04-22 12:24:01
Power cycle the modem, router and the PC. Bring them up one at a time. Try the WIFI speed test with more than one device as it may be the PC. Then, try reloading the firmware.
Options
2020-04-22 17:05:23 - last edited 2020-04-22 18:09:36

@ArcherC8 

Thank you for the response. I power cycled like you said and tested the speed with multiple devices and the issue is still persisting. When I connect an ethernet cable directly to my modem or the router from multiple devices I get my full connection speed. When I run the speed test built into the router I also get my full connection speed. It's only over wireless that I'm getting the decreased speed. I've used a tool, NetSpot, to check the connection details on the wireless signal and even when I'm right next to the router it's saying the signal strength is about 60%. The NSR is looking really good though there's only about 5% noise. Things are really starting to point to the wireless radios on the router not having enough power to transmit very far. I get a decent connection speed when I'm right next to the router. I reloaded the latest firmware manually and nothing changed. Thoughts?

Options
2020-04-22 19:37:50
Some things to try that helped others... Use specific channels and Band Width. Turn off HomeCare if on. Check your QoS options. Be sure IPv6 is on. Check any security settings. If WIFI is set to use AX switch to AC or lower. Use different SSIDs for each band. Delete (forget) and re-add the network connection for your device. Other devices on the WIFI can cause slow down the WIFI - See https://www.cnet.com/how-to/home-networking-explained-part-1-heres-the-url-for-you/
Options
2020-04-22 19:40:04
Also if you have any Extenders or AP, turn them off.
Options
2020-04-22 19:58:15

@ArcherC8 

I ran through your list and did not see any change in performance over wireless.

Options
2020-04-23 11:08:58
Next step is to contact support as to me it sounds like something is not right in that router.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1091

Replies: 6

Related Articles