Deco X60 - Can it backhaul over powerline?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-23 03:55:41 - last edited 2020-04-24 21:38:56
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I just installed a Deco X60 3-pieces kit. I have cable, 300Mbps.

- Base unit in the basement. It connects with the cable modem and with a Netgear switch, as I have ethernet in most of the rooms

- 1st mesh unit in the living room; backhaul is wireless

- 2nd mesh unit in the family room; backhaul is ethernet

The Deco works well. I have 300Mbps on the base unit and the 2nd mesh unit that backhauls via ethernet. However, the 1st mesh unit that backhauls via wireless has 100-120Mbps at most. My question is: can Deco X60 backhaul via Powerline? My idea is to buy a TP-Link powerline kit, plug one adapter on the router / switch, and the other one in the living room, to then connect the 1st mesh Deco X60 unit to it via a cable so that it can backhaul via powerline instead of wireless, hopefully boosting the throughput. Does it work? Is Deco X60 compatible with powerline for the backhaul?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco X60 - Can it backhaul over powerline?-Solution
2020-04-23 18:17:27 - last edited 2020-04-24 21:38:56

@ReallyHopeful 

Using powerline adapters to give a Deco unit the capablity to backhaul over ethernet could work.  You would want at minimum the TL-PA7010 Kit.   How the backhaul regardless of which one you use works is:  The router will choose the fastest path possible,  Using ethernet is usually the fastest, however if you are combining that with powerline you do need to consider the condition of the powerlines, the electircal noise if any and and potential interferece.  These factors can affect the speed.  If it affects it enough the ethernet may be slower and thus the Deco will chose wireless.  

I just wanted you to be aware of this potential factor just so you don't get disappointed if it happens. 

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco X60 - Can it backhaul over powerline?-Solution
2020-04-23 18:17:27 - last edited 2020-04-24 21:38:56

@ReallyHopeful 

Using powerline adapters to give a Deco unit the capablity to backhaul over ethernet could work.  You would want at minimum the TL-PA7010 Kit.   How the backhaul regardless of which one you use works is:  The router will choose the fastest path possible,  Using ethernet is usually the fastest, however if you are combining that with powerline you do need to consider the condition of the powerlines, the electircal noise if any and and potential interferece.  These factors can affect the speed.  If it affects it enough the ethernet may be slower and thus the Deco will chose wireless.  

I just wanted you to be aware of this potential factor just so you don't get disappointed if it happens. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco X60 - Can it backhaul over powerline?
2020-04-23 19:19:07

@Carl thank you.

My current setup is as follows:

Cable modem (bridge mode) >>> Main Deco (router) >>> Netgear switch >>> clients via ethernet (including slave deco unit)

Do I plug the first powerline adapter into the Netgear switch? I do not have any more free ports on the main Deco unit, as one port is connected to the cable modem, the second port to the switch.

Options
2020-04-24 16:26:24

@ReallyHopeful 

The "base" powerline adapter can be connected to the Swtich or even the Remote unit that is connected Via Etherenet.  I'd recommned the closest location.  The least ammount of breaker hops and the closer the distance the better the prefomance and lower chance of EMI and conggestion.

Options
2020-08-05 15:46:46

@Carl  just FYI, avoid using circuits with GFCI outlets. Some will work okay, many will not, especially some of the CEI GFCI outlets. Older rheostats or dimmers can also wreak havoc. I recently upgraded to RA outlets and switches from Lutron after rewiring half the house and adding a few circuits to better group items and to reduce loads on a few circuits, i.e. kitchen, garage; places where tools or equipment with high LRA or starting amps get used. Some shoddy electrical work in homes built in the last 15-20 years with poorly strung & marginally sized gauge wire. I found at lest 3 pinch point where the butcher wire puller used copper staples, fired staples at that, that had pinched and broken Romex casing and as wire ages, jacket and shielding gets brittle. Caused a short to ground, which is what started me on my task of upgrading and properly isolating interrupted/ground fault outlets from the rest of the system. Just know that not every home is wied in a manner conducive to powerline backhaul, sometimes it's an easy fix, other times it can be a costly fix, whether that's paid in cash or in sweat in the attic. There are a lot of factors that can adversely affect powerline, stay as close to router as possible, create groupings based on circuits as much as possible & avoid circuits with speed controlers and rheostats or new A/C system that use IGBT variable frequency speed controls for compressor or motors. 

For the latter, they do make common mode chokes that can help absorb that "stray" high frequency "noise" (aka frequency/amperage spikes &/or stray voltage). The chokes are often used on devices prone to sensitivity, you have probably seen them on PC monitor cables and thought they were weights or just never gave them any thought, but that's what those plastic covered bulges usually are.

Options
2020-08-05 17:12:27

@DirtyBiker 

Yes that is true any "Breaker" outlet will create a filter point for powerline adapters that will either contiously trip the outlet or degrade the data to levels that make it unuseable.  I did fail to mention that in my previous reply so thank you for bring it up.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3344

Replies: 5

Related Articles