Archer A6 range extension help

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-24 21:33:15
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I have the Archer A6 and just switched to gigabyte internet with Metronet. They provide a free router My house does terrible with WiFi for some reason(2,000 sq ft 2 story) so I had the Metronet guy install a LAN port in my office upstairs in hopes to use my A6 as a wired extender. I want to use it as an extender and a pass through to my PC to get wired speeds. I read on a forum here to disable the DHCP, change the IP to a high number(main router is 192.168.1.1, A6 changed to 192.168.1.150) and leave the WDS alone as I'm going wired. It did say to kill the DNS server, but I could not find that option. Line from main router is plugged into LAN and not WAN. I renamed it the same name as my main router and gave the same password. The wireless jumped immensely. Went from around 100 to 350 down and up. But the wired PC dropped. It was 700 when hard wired straight into wall and around 200 when going through the router. What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated!

Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer A6 range extension help
2020-04-26 12:08:37
Just a thought, try replacing the cable from the range extender router to your PC.
Options
2020-04-26 15:08:47

@ArcherC8  thanks for the reply. I tried a mixture of 4 different cables all rates cat6. I'm not sure if it's the internet or what but I tried a regular powered cat 6 switch splitter on the line coming in, went to router and then a seperate line to computer. Cable company said it was a 10/100/1000 splitter, and it immediately dropped me down to around 100 mbps too 

Options
2020-04-27 12:15:14
Dropping to 100 makes me think that the issue may be in the PC. Does it still get 700 if you bypass the splitter and router? If not check the Ethernet settings in the PC. Also power cycle between tests. I like to power all down, power up modem, wait for it to stabilize, then the router, wait for it to stabilize. then your extender router, and the PC last.
Options
2020-04-28 10:38:12

@ArcherC8 

If I bypass the router and plug directly into the hard wire I am at 700 mbs or so. Consistently over 500.I had reset the router and the modem a few times trying to get it to work because clearly the router was working for the Wi-Fi I wanted, but I could never get speeds over 100, it made me wonder if the router had lost its gigabit function and was only working at 10/100. I also tried using an amplified gigabit switch that I had to split the connection to go into the router and into the computer and that still drops the computer down to 100. Not sure if it's the computer or the internet or the router, but do know a hardwired connection from the main router gives me very fast speeds

Options
2020-04-28 14:47:08
The first post says that you named then the same. I assume you mean the WIFIs have the same SSIDs and password. If so, how do you know the WIFI you are getting is from the A6 and not the other router? Power down the A6 and test the WIFI speed. Also connect the PC into the same port of the other router used for the line to the other room and see what speed you get.
Options
2020-04-28 15:34:11

@ArcherC8 

I figured it was working because when I connect to the network with the A6 not.plugged in wifi speeds are low, maybe 90-100. Plug in the A6 and let it connect and stabilize and I'm consistently around 300 wifi. The PC is connected to the same port, because the line runs from the router downstairs, up and into the office upstairs and down the hall. So I'm disconnecting the PC in the office and plugging the router into that, then into the computer from another LAN port. The router is working great to boost the wifi, but then it is sacrificing my wired connection. I was basically trying to make a wifi booster that was hardwired, with a switch built in for my PC. The boosters don't work in my house. The house is only 2,000sqft and the metro guy had 3 he was using to try and make the signal get upstairs but it wasn't working at all. That's why we decided to run a hard wire and then hard wire a booster, which as I said, does the trick for wifi, but then wired goes down. If I unplug the cable going to the A6 and plug directly I to PC I jump back up to the 700. I may have to try something else, or just not boost the wifi for guests, I suppose 50mps is good enough for them. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1649

Replies: 6

Related Articles