Can I downgrade the firmware of the Archer A6?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-29 20:49:32
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Can I downgrade the firmware of Archer A6 model by just selecting an old firmware in the upgrade wizard?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Can I downgrade the firmware of the Archer A6?
2020-04-30 14:05:28
Firmware in most cases can be downgraded provided you use the same model, same Hardware version and location of the firmware. Assuming you have an A6 Version 2, for the US market, there is only three firmware versions available for that router. See https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-a6/#Firmware Trying any other firmware may brick your router. The procedure is a bit different as you download the firmware to your computer, disconnect from the internet, and manually load it from you computer. Other posts show more detailed instructions.
Options
2020-04-30 19:17:22

@ArcherC8 Thanks!

Options
2020-05-27 14:20:29 - last edited 2020-05-27 14:32:35

@OnlineOaf somebody please help me, i just bought this router (in south east asia) I don't know if it is version US or EU. I have problem with the 5Ghz wifi speed it really slow, only 173mbps, after spending time browsing on the internet i just realized that firmware is the problem, I'm using version 1.1.5 Build 20191112 rel.36515(5553). So.. did you guys solve this problem by downgrading the firmware? how did you downgrade this firmware? any guide?

edit : my router is ver US, sorry guys, i didn't notice it

Options
2020-05-27 16:08:28 - last edited 2020-05-27 16:13:04

@mathgrts just like they said: doing the upgrade process but using an older version of the firmware. The speed can be due to other things: the network interface of your device might not support the bandwith allowed by the router and vice versa. For example my laptop's network card is supposedly wigig but only seems to support up to 480mbps and effectively only reaches around 90mbps downloads. My phone on the other hand can reach 200mbps easily. It depends. You have to consult the hardware specs of the network interfaces you're using to be sure.

Options
2020-05-27 16:24:17

@OnlineOaf thank you for fast reply, i did downgrade to v 1.1.3 but no luck the speed still the same, this is the scenario when i test my speed, I'm using laptop with the intel dualband 7265 (and it support 5Ghz wifi with the maksimum 865mbps speed), i use it to connect to another pc desktop with the LAN cable (cat 5e, the speed link on the network adapter is 1Gbps) both device (PC and the laptop) are using ssd.... did I miss something?

apologize for my bad english...

Options
2020-05-27 16:31:01

@mathgrts so the laptop is getting the internet from the desktop? If that's the case then maybe the desktop is bottlenecking the speed at some point and would make the issue not relevant to this forum (you already hijacked my thread!).

Options
2020-05-28 12:07:50
Not sure what point @mathgrts was making. One note to make is that other devices on the network affect the speed of other devices on the same network. See for more info https://www.cnet.com/how-to/home-networking-explained-part-1-heres-the-url-for-you/
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3155

Replies: 7