Mother in Law House is the Problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-01 19:39:50
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: Unknown

THE PROBLEM - Two houses (main house and a mother-in-law house 100' away) on the network, network consists of the modem and 3 routers daisy chained together by ethernet cable.  ("Daisy chain" is the term the installer used, but he has retired and moved away.)  Main house has the modem and 2 of the routers. The last router is 100' away in the mother in law house.  

MY ORIGINAL FIX - I planned to put all 3 Deco units in the main house and leave the existing router in the mother in law house still connected via ethernet cable.  But I can't figure out how to do this...

TP LINK SUPPORT'S FIX - Rep Rondal said I have to run from the modem to the router, then to the Deco.  But I can't move the modem and I can't move her router, so to follow TP Links advice I would have to run another 100' ethernet cable out to mom's place.  And even if I could, wouldn't that slow down the system even more?

OPTIONS - So are there any other options I could look at to get my plan to work?  If not, I would be willing to buy another Deco unit to replace her router, but it would have to be run by ethernet cable, as it's too far for wireless. Would that work?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Mother in Law House is the Problem
2020-05-04 18:59:49

@DRSudz 

Daisy Chaining is when one device is linked to another via ethernet or wireless and then from that device another device is linked in the same way.  Normally Daisy Chaining is a last resort method and especially with range extenders never recommended.  

As for a solution its pretty easy actually.  Get 3-4 Decos depending on the size of your main home.  Hook the "Main" Deco to your modem and run the setup wizard.  Once setup add each additional Deco by following the on screen instructions. From there decide how you want to have the Decos in your Main house setup and linked to each other (wireless or Ethernet) Hook the Decos up in the desired fashion Except for the far end Deco.  With that one connect the Ethernet cable that is running from your Main home to the In-law's home to it.  On the other end of the cable install your 3rd or 4th Deco, depending on how many you bought. and that should be it. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 433

Replies: 1

Related Articles