Turn QOS Off - M9 Plus

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Turn QOS Off - M9 Plus

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Turn QOS Off - M9 Plus
Turn QOS Off - M9 Plus
2020-05-05 12:56:11 - last edited 2020-05-07 00:57:49
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.0 Beta

Installed the 1.4.0 Beta and turned on QOS.  QOS doesn't appear to work as I get higher speeds on speed tests than the limits I set.  How do I turn QOS off?  It won't let me enter zeros in the up and down limits.  TIA.

Overall very impressed with the product, a 3 unit mesh system for $199 is a good deal.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Turn QOS Off - M9 Plus
2020-05-05 17:09:26

@Ragar 

For QOS if you set it to standard it would be the same as if it is turned off.  Though I am not familar with the Beta FW so I am not sure if they made changes to it in the Beta FW.

Options
2020-05-05 18:46:45

@Carl 

The intent was to set the max download and upload speed to less than my max ISP speed in order to mitigate latency issues (aka Bufferbloat) globally.  I thought that is what "standard" was for.  If not, how do I set it globally or across the board?

Options
2020-05-06 16:29:06

@Ragar 

That would be theoretically impossible.  Only because generally speaking all ISP speeds are UP to XXXXX.  Some may guarantee 80% or something like that but speed from them is generally subjective and reliant on several factors.  Most people will set the QOS to the maximum available that their ISP provides or you can set it by running an internet speed test in the Deco app.  

because the QOS used in teh Deco is based on types of traffic and not device it is a bit different.  Standard means that no one type of traffic gets pirority.  The QOS will apply automatically to all devices on the network.  

Options
2020-05-06 18:09:13 - last edited 2020-05-07 00:57:49

@Carl 

Not only is it possible, but it is not uncomon to see global QOS in other routers (i.e. Netgear, Edgerouter).  The reason you want to back off your contracted speed is for the reason you mentioned, you may not always get those speeds.  I am on a 500/500 fiber connection and usually get above as they over provision.  Regardless I'll set it at 440/440 to ensure I have enough extra capacity to reduce bufferbloat.

Specific examples of routers that do this are the Netgear XR500 and virtually all the Edgeouters that use "Smart QOS".  Each has the capability to enter a max up and down limit for QOS that can be applied across the board.  I rarely prioritize devices.  You can google "XR500 QOS" and "Edgerouter Smart QOS" if you want to read up.

I am surmising from your comments that the M9 Plus won't do this so thanks for your help. 

Options
2020-05-07 01:08:06

@Ragar 

Edgerouter are enterpirse level equipment that handle far higher traffic than your standard home router.  The fact is every manufacture handles QOS in similar but different ways.  Even in the same Manufacture it can be done differently.  Case in point the Deco M9 the QOS is actually handled throught the Trendmicro powered HomeCare suite and processes through trendmicro's servers.   Home based routers don't have the Buffer capacity for you to need to be concerned with Bufferbloat.  On top of the the packet size at most is 1500 bytes set by both the ISP and the router's MTU limits.  If latency is a concern for you this is a setting i would look at.  I find the best size for performance is setting my router slightly below my ISP at 1472.  

As for what you mentioned in the 2nd paragraph that is what our QOS does.  You set the bandwidth that is capable of being recieved to ensure the priorites you set get the bandwidth % properly allocated.  I am sorry if i did not make that clear in my previous response. 

Options
2020-05-07 13:01:14

@Carl 

I don't follow.  You are saying QOS on this device is connecting to a tp-link server to process the request?  That does not make any sense and talk about a good way to add latency when the whole point is to reduce.   You are building the case for me to return the M9 plus or put in it AP mode.

As far as your contention that this is not needed in a home router, I simply disagree and think if tp-link adds the functionality it should work.   A $59 edgerouter X can do this, as can the Netgear I mentioned that you conveniently ignored.

Is there anyway to get the up/down limits in the M9 Plus QOS to work?  i.e. when I run a speedtest they will not be exceeded.  edgerouter and Netgear can do that.  Can this device?

Options
2020-05-07 18:58:41

@Ragar 

As i said every manufacture does handle QOS differently.  That doesn't make one better or the other.  I didn't ignore your comments about Netgear out of any malice just that it was not relavent to anything I was stating. The only reason I addressed Edgerouters is because their purpose is different as they are typically at an embarcation point between backbone providers as the data travels from one point to the next.  

The QOS in the Deco M9 is processed through TrendMicro servers, as is all traffic the router processes.  This is part of the HomeCare suite that includes the Partental Controls and A.V. software.  Standard is the same as off as it means all traffic is treated equally.  You are able to set what your bandwidth is based on manual input or from the speed test but you  cannot limit how much of your bandwidth is actually accepted.  

Options
2020-05-07 20:39:01 - last edited 2020-05-07 20:40:54

@Carl 

If I put the M9 Plus in AP mode, will that kill all the communication back to tp-link homecare suite?  Also a ton of people use EdgeRouters at home.  Their forums are very active with home users.

Options
2020-05-07 22:39:25

@Ragar 

Yes all routing features are disabled in AP mode. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2711

Replies: 9

Related Articles