Archer C90 - performance degradation over time?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-06 03:12:42
Model: Archer C90  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 Build 20200114 rel.73164(5553)

Hello,

I just purchased a new TP-Link C90 router today.  The unit is connected to a TP-Link cable modem and I have 3 wired ethernet devices attached to it as well as about 6-7 wireless devices connected.

The unit is running the latest version of firmware - 1.0.6 Build 20200114 rel.73164(5553).  The Internet connection is through Altice/Cablevision and it's a 300Mb connection.

I've had to reboot the router several times today since installation and initial configuration due to instability and/or degradation of Internet performance.  After the reboot/restart of the unit, the Internet performance seems fine but over the course of time and usage of the Internet (seems to be a few hours), the performance will deteriorate to the point where the Internet becomes unusable.

This instability exists regardless of whether connections are processed via wired or wireless clients.

Some settings from the current config:

-) The LAN network was changed to 192.168.1.0/24, with the router LAN port changed to 192.168.1.1

-) The wireless network was customized with a differnet SSID/passwod from the default

-) Wireless SmartConnect was left disabled

-) There is an inbound port-forward set up for a single app I'm running that is externally accessible

-) Guest networking was left off

-) There is no USB device attached

-) No parental controls or QoS

-) SPI firewall was left on

-) DoS protection was left off

-) ALG options were all left on

-) uPnP was turned off

-) IPv6 was turned off

-) VPN servers were left off

-) NAT Boost was left on

There is a mix of traffic types being processed through the unit - typical Internet browsing, some streaming media (Netflix, etc.), some downloads, mobile device apps, remote access VPN (to a corporate network) as well as distance learning.

I'd like to see what can be done to improve the Internet connection stability of the unit so that there is no degradation over time and no need to reboot the unit.  Any suggestions on things to try would be helpful.

Thanks,

T

Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer C90 - performance degradation over time?
2020-05-06 12:13:07
Some things I would check and do. I would check the logs of the modem and router and see if there are any events around the time of the degrading. I would bypass the router and connect direct to the modem to run some tests to ensure the modem is not the cause. Ensure that there are no devices that is using most of the bandwidth such as cloud backups. To check that you may need to disable WIFI for a bit and then connect the WIFI and disconnect the wired devices for a bit. I would also enable IPv6.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 375

Replies: 1

Related Articles