Strange Problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Strange Problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Strange Problem
Strange Problem
2020-05-14 13:37:51
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have my Deco system up and running, it has been fine for some time, but have recently had an odd issue. I have two laptops side by side, one is for work and one for home. The work one started to have really slow internet: the latest speedtest was 2.91 Mbps DL and 10 Mbps UL. My home laptop has 60+ Mbps DL and 10 Mbps UL, this is also running through a VPN. The Deco speed test on my phone app has speeds that I would expect (60 Mbps).

When I have taken the laptops through to the main Deco unit/router they clock in at the same speed (100 Mbps +).

Any thoughts? 

Thanks in advance.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Strange Problem
2020-05-14 22:31:32 - last edited 2020-05-14 22:31:53

@mose 

I'm thinking the work laptop may have a service or program that is running in the background. There was a case I remember where a users OneDrive was syncing without them knowing so I would examine all the processes going on. Maybe boot the laptop in safe mode with networking?

Options
2020-05-15 08:15:18 - last edited 2020-05-15 08:15:45

Tony wrote

@mose 

I'm thinking the work laptop may have a service or program that is running in the background. There was a case I remember where a users OneDrive was syncing without them knowing so I would examine all the processes going on. Maybe boot the laptop in safe mode with networking?

@Tony Thanks Tony, I thought I had mentioned it, but I moved the work laptop closer to the router and used the primary Deco connected to the router and the speeds were 60 Mbps +. I also plugged it the ethernet into the work laptop and had over 100 Mbps. 

Options
2020-05-15 22:40:46

@mose 

I am wondering if the laptops may be connecting to different nodes. I do not think the current firmware allows you to see what device is connected to what. 

Is there a second node and is that close to where you work compared to the main Deco?

Options
2020-05-16 11:13:05 - last edited 2020-05-16 11:13:40

@Tony Hi tony, that is possible and would make sense. I have a node in the hall just by my office (cupboard). The two laptops are close to that, approx 2-3 m away and I assumed that they would connect in via that unit, which is through one wall/door. The main unit is in the lounge connected into the router and probably 5m away through two if not three walls (possibly a diagonally through a corner). 

Update

I have removed the bitbefender box that I had in the system to diagnose the issue a bit more.

I now have had the two PC's connected to the network, they are showing in the control panel of the desktop as connected, however the speed on both is really slow - less than a 1 Mbps download, yes 10 Mbps upload. Additionally, on the deco app, they are not showing as connected to the network. 

When I change to the deco guest network I have set up, the speeds are the what would be expected for both machines, circa 60-70Mbps.  

Options
2020-05-18 16:59:37

@mose 

Clients that are not showing up in the Deco app need the Deco system defaulted (Deco network removed from the app, each node reset by holding the reset for 1 second). When the Deco network is set back up connected clients should now show up.

I know if you are using range extender and the phone is connecting to the router instead, disabling the Wi-Fi and enabling it will generally help it get to the extender. On your work laptop disable your Wi-Fi connection and enable it while in the office.

Another setting you can see if you have and modify is the roaming aggressiveness of your wireless adapter. If you go to your network connections windows and go to the properties of your adapter then click on configure > advanced:

Options
2020-05-28 08:20:03

@Tony Thanks Tony, 

I have now reset the whole network back to the start. I have the same issue and have now realised what it is. There are IP conflicts where the same address has been assigned to my phone (mobile) and my laptop. 

I tried to set static IP addresses with the Deco app, but the laptop isn't taking the assigned address, it keeps defaulting to the old one (192.168.68.100) and the phone is taking primacy. When I connect the laptop to the guest network the address 192.168.68.103 is provided. 

This conflict is happening on other clients too. Wife's laptop etc and the same assignation is provided when they go onto the guest network. 

I have tried to configure the laptops to have the Deco reserved addresses, but that isn't working eoither. 

Options
2020-05-29 16:54:20

@mose 

Delete all the address reservation in the Deco system and statically assign an IP on the devices themselves. See if your network operates normally now.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1026

Replies: 7

Related Articles