AX11000 Cannot block internet access for a wifi device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-16 21:23:12
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

i recently installed AX11000 router in my home. I have been using Asus for a long time and was happy with it. Went for TP-link and found that it has underwhelming features and these are very basic thing any router should have.

1) I can't block internet access for some of my devices connected that are connected to wifi. When I click on "block" icon in devices list, the message says that it will block the internet, but instead it blocks the device from connecting to Wifi altogether.

When I try similar for wired devices, they keep working and only blocks internet as advertised.

2) I cannot select my own DNS server for the WAN IP config. I run Pi-hole at home and my asus used it as a primary dns for both WAN and LAN IP. But TP-Link doesn't allow it for WAN. It expects the WAN DNS servers to be public. Have no idea why. Asus had no issues with it.

I may be able to live with #2. But #1 is important. I may have to return the router because it lacks the features that my previous router had in 2015.

Options
7 Reply
Re:AX11000 Cannot block internet access for a wifi device
2020-05-17 18:02:49

Does anyone has any solution to this?

Options
2020-05-18 23:57:40

@virtualh 

Hello

I can provide an answer for #2.  Go to the Router's interfact.  Click on Advanced > Network > Internet.  Click on Advanced Settings > Click drop down to 'Use the following DNS"

For #1:  That is by design on the wifi.  If a device is being block all access is blocked including access to the AP. 

Options
2020-05-21 21:52:51

@Carl thank you.

My issue with #2 is I don't want to use 1.1.1.1 (external DNS) for WAN but something like 192.168.0.53. I was able to do that with my Asus. It's not a big deal though.

#1 is still a problem for me. Because I do have a use case where I don't want some of my IOT devices (including smart TVs, etc) to have internet access. I still need them on the local network so they can communicate with other local devices. If it's by design, it's bad design on TP link's part. Their software doesn't come close to what Asus has and I am leaning towards going back with Asus.

I also tested the 2.4GHz speed on this router, and man that's slow (5mbps download speed) even if I sit right next to the router.

Options
2020-05-26 18:26:15

@virtualh 

With #2 you can use which ever DNS address you want.  If you have a DNS server locally simply point it to that address.  

For #1 yes that is by design.  Now obviously Local Access will be available regardless if the WAN is connected or not. However, If the WAN is connected all devices on the LAN will be giving access to the internet. Removing WAN access while keeping LAN access has not been a feature we have ever really looked into, at least not to recent memory.  We can always send this up to our Design team, but I can't say for certain if it would ever come to be. In my nearly 5 years with the company you have been the only customer I have worked with that has even asked for such a feature.  But none the less I will suggest it.  

As for the speed issues.  Can you run a speed test directly from the router?  Also are you able to run the test from seperate devices but to the same server.  This allows us to ensure the results are not just the network card.  

Best Regards 

Options
2021-09-13 11:06:41

@virtualh if anyone still has question number 1, the solution is not blocking device on  network map menu but going to advanced> home care> parental control> add your device and then pause internet access. That's it.

Options
2021-09-22 19:54:02

@amin1333 

that's what I am doing too. Thanks 

Options
2021-09-22 19:55:45

@Carl 

as far as #1 goes. You can't change the WAN DNS server to a local IP. Been there done that, router doesn't allow it and changes the router IP address to another subnet. I tried setting up a second IP to my DNS server and setup static route for that subnet, all other clients can hit it except the router. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2997

Replies: 7